• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rab1d78

[web] Message board hosting

This topic is 4881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know a lot of you host your own sites and a few maybe even your own message board. Any recommendations on how to set one up?

Advertisement
For PHPBB, you download it from PHPBB, then upload it (either extract it before uploading and upload the files or extract it afterwards so either way you get the extracted files on the server) then navigate our browser to where you uploaded it and follow the steps.

Frankly, if you have Windows XP Pro, I would get IIS v5.1, PHP 4.x, and MySQL 3.x running,
and install it on your own machine. Of course, if you're just starting out, that alone
will probably take you about a month to figure it all out just to setup. :)
Might as well let your host do it.

Quote:
Original post by raydog
Frankly, if you have Windows XP Pro, I would get IIS v5.1, PHP 4.x, and MySQL 3.x running,
and install it on your own machine. Of course, if you're just starting out, that alone
will probably take you about a month to figure it all out just to setup. :)
Might as well let your host do it.
Oh, well if he meant the whole thing and not just putting a message board on a web host, I'd stick to your suggestion except for IIS. I think Apache is a great web server that can do everything you need, and it isn't too hard to set up the basic stuff to start with. Just about everything is made to integrate with apache, and it runs on pretty much every OS so you don't need to worry about having the Pro version or Server or whatever.

Thank you both, I've decided to use the host's MYSQL, PHP, way of doing it. Now that I got the direction I'll google to how to. I'll definatly look into hosting my own later down the road but for now game classes are my priority.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!