• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Joshnathan

Level editor tutorial for SDL

This topic is 4975 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi everyone! First of all, I want to know if i would be ABLE to create a level editor. I have been programming for about 4 months now and I know (at least I hope so), more then only the real basics of c++. My best work till now was a pong clone. If you would want to take a look at it before you say anything, you can get the code here. The info I can give you on my programming experience is that I have done www.gametutorials.com tutorials till about page 5-6 and I know how to use them. I hope you guys can AT LEAST give me a tutorial, and if you have time tell me if it would be possible to create a map editor myself...

Advertisement
Well IMHO I would say of course you would be able to make a map editor - but the question is would you be willing to spend the time on it? If so, what would it be used for - a map editor makes maps for a certain type of game - so if you do not have a game yet to use it on - then you should make another game first. I would say make breakout - then you can make a map editor to make the different levels. As soon as you know what you want to do and all of the specifications, making it should not be so hard - but making a nice one will be challenging. I'll beck this message back and give you some ideas after you reply if you are intrested.

I am interested a lot.
The fact is I have a whole team, me and my school mates (not in a programming school though, they don't really exist where I live). I am the only programmer, but I have 4 graphists and a scenario writer. the only question is, would I be able to write a map editor. This map editor would be used for a 2d rpg, which I am willing to spend A LOT of time on. It has been my dream to program a 2d rpg for a long time, and once I start it I will be **** sure to finish it :D

I think you would be able to make a map editor. I reused a lot of code from the editors I made for the actual game. The display is almost the same, and loading of the levels is necessary as well.

You should take some time to plan it out and what features you want the editor to have. Also determine what part of the maps will be coded into each map, each tile, etc. I'm sorry that I don't know of any tutorials for making a level editor, but a good level editor can speed up the progress of your game significantly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!