• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Android_s

TrueType fonts problem: can't change height!

This topic is 4879 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The topic says it all... Im using an almost identical way to print out fonts as in NeHe #14, but i can't change the height of the fonts. This dosn't work with the full code for tutorial #14 either... I can change size by using glScale(), but this look terrible when scaling down to small sizes... However if I use #13 all is great and the height behaves nicely. Is there anyone who can explain why changing the height with fonts created with wglUseFontOutlines() doesn't work, while it does with wglUseFontBitmaps()?

Advertisement
As you mentioned, you can use glScale with outlined fonts, so there's no need to use font heights.
In fact, outlined fonts have rather some normalized space, which makes it much more convenient to integrate into a 3D environment.
Bitmapped fonts are in essence aligned to pixel rasterization, so you need some height parameter other you would have to use glPixelZoom or such functions which really looks crap.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!