• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Axiverse

Pointer to pointers

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using a pointer to a pointer ( myStruct** ) and the compiler is giving me some trouble: Say you have myStruct* pointer = NULL; myStruct** pointer2 = &pointer; say I want to set pointer to a through pointer2, but the vc++ compiler says it's not right: pointer2* = a; and what if you want to get to a member? pointer2*->myMember (); // Doesn't work... any help?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by grekster
shouldnt it be

*pointer2 = &a;

??

Only if a is declared as a struct:

myStruct a;

If a is declared as a pointer to a myStruct, no problem:

myStruct* a;

The point is, the * comes before the variable, otherwise it's seen as multiplication.

I find it better to put the * touching the variable, even in the declaration. Because it you declare more than one pointer you have to put a star in front of each one:
myStruct *pointer1, *pointer2;
rather than
myStruct* pointer1, pointer2;
which is incorrect. (pointer2 would not be a pointer it would be an actual struct!)
Either that or do a typedef and be rid of the *'s on the declaration line.

Just wait until you've got to maintain someone's code where they used three stars...
int SomeFunc(SomeType ***SomeVar)

Quote:
Original post by iMalc
The point is, the * comes before the variable, otherwise it's seen as multiplication.

I find it better to put the * touching the variable, even in the declaration. Because it you declare more than one pointer you have to put a star in front of each one:
myStruct *pointer1, *pointer2;
rather than
myStruct* pointer1, pointer2;
which is incorrect. (pointer2 would not be a pointer it would be an actual struct!)

Rather unfortunate behaviour of the language(s; both C and C++) IMHO; declaring differently typed variables on the same line in a statically typed language is quite unintuitive, as is sticking part of the type information on the variable name instead of the type name.

P.S. I was trying to find an article where Stroustrup was talking about this... I couldn't find it, but during my search I ran across this java to C++ tutorial from Brown's CS department. It saddens me deeply to think that such a document - dated to 2004, even - is thinking in terms of printf, char *'s and stdio.h. (Oh, and those stupid m_ prefixes too.)

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
those stupid m_ prefixes

*shudder*

as to the asterisk problem, i usually put it with the type name, not the variable name. for instance:

Thing* foo;

is a "Thing pointer", and i need to read it that way. It seems weird when compared to:

Thing *foo;

The "pointer" part of it has to do with the type, not the variable name, so that's where i put it. The multiple declarations problem is legit, but that's why 99% of the time, i put each one on it's own line.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!