• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Timer troubles

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I decided to start working through "Code on the Cob." I also decided to copy the code over by hand so as to get a beter understanding of it (it's easy to end up just skimming the code instead of reading it). While working on part 2 (the first with any code), I ran into a bug, one that crashes the program. So, I did all my research with the debugger, and found thatthe problem lay in the timing functions. In fact, I found it was only a problem with the "performance timer." This provides me a work-around if needed (force the program to use the multimedia timer). However, I want to use the performance timer if I can, and an unknown bug is very annoying. My code is identical (well, except for minor things that Dev-C++ made me change) to that is the articles. Researching further, I found that the program crashes during a call to M_timeFloat(). I found that the call to SYSW_TimeFloat() is the culprit there. Here's the weird part, if I just call SYSW_TimeFloat(), or bounce myself an error message using SYSW_TimeFloat(): SYS_Errorf("SYSW_TimeFloat() returns %f", SYSW_TimeFloat()); everything works fine. But when I attempt to assign to a variable, or return using SYSW_TimeFloat(), the program crashes. Any idea why the type of use of the funstion would make a difference?

Advertisement
I think this is your problem:
Quote:

well, except for minor things that Dev-C++ made me change

:)

Sometimes bugs in your code can do some really odd things, like making standard function calls to an API or the OS or anything else, fail.

I bet the function works just fine though. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement