• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What do you guys think of Java?

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. Im a senior in High School and plan to go to college and get a Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science. I'm learning Java and im sort of fluent in it. I know the basics and how to like make pics on applets and stuff. I use JCreator. Anyone know a good Java compiler? I have a bunch of questions so I was wonderin if anyone knew any sites with good tuts on how to begin programming games and such using Java. Anything would be a big help!

Advertisement
What do you guys think of Java?

I don't like it, but it's a personal issue.

Anyone know a good Java compiler?

Sun's.

I have a bunch of questions so I was wonderin if anyone knew any sites with good tuts on how to begin programming games and such using Java.

See the Forum FAQ and the Java Development Forum FAQ.

dont like it, find it anyoing

keep using JCreator, i cant think of a better compiler

A compiler is a program that compiles human code into machine code (or in Java's case byte code), such as Sun's own javac. What you are looking for is an IDE - an Integrated Development Environment. I'd personally recommend Eclipse at eclipse.org.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don't like Java for it doesn't support RAII(you don't have destructors).

Well, I don't like Java much. I'm used to C/C++ and I find java annoying, but I have to use it in school project...
About compiler, Sun's is probably the best (it's their language, so they should know, what to do with it).

For the 'Java-Like' languages (J#, C#, etc.) I prefer c# because it lets me use "unsafe" code, but I think that making online applets in Java that run on webpages is extremely cool, and will probably start using it more.

Zomg! <3 teh j4v4, yes I do!!!11

It's not well liked around here generally from what I can tell (at least on the gd IRC channel it's a frequent whipping-boy - er - whipping-language?), but back when I first used it my experience was along the lines of "wow, it's everything I wish C++ were instead of what it actually is". OTOH, I largely blame my prof and TAs for doing such a lousy job of teaching C++. So like in Fruny's case, "it's a personal issue" ^^

Anyway. My opinion of it has gone downhill somewhat over time, but I'm not about to give up using it any time soon. (I am a J2ME developer after all.) I took the time to learn a thing or two about how the implementation works, which in a roundabout way helps me with "thinking in Java", and also thinking about how to optimize things nicely (for space!!! speed is fine as long as you don't do anything retarded, thanks. And generally improves along with the space optimizations, probably much more so in Java than in C++, because of how Java space opts are done ;) ). It also helped with learning Python, oddly enough - because I was able to think "ah, it's basically the Java object model, except there are no primitives, and the reflection is wayyyy more advanced", and feel "at home" right away.

I LIKE JAVA BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's much more simple. However, it doesn't have pointers. Deep deep down it has pointers, but you never see them. (that's a big reason why it's so much more simple!). And I REAALLLLY like the import command. Waaay less complicated then C++'s #include command.

There are some things that I like about Java over C++, but by and large, I leave Java as a last resort type language (that is, I'll only use if it's required either by a professor or by an employer). When it comes to writing traditional, heavily GUI based applications, I prefer C# + .NET's Window Forms over Java + AWT/Swing, as long as it doesn't have to run on anything other than Windows. Everything else I write is generally a mixture of C++ and Python, moreso C++ since I'm much more knowledgable in it.

For a Java compiler use the one you get with the Java SDK you download from Sun's website. For a free Java IDE, then on average I've liked JCreator the most.

I don't much like Java, though admitedly I have only used it for school projects and the like. I'm a heavy user of C# (which is much like Java, but fixes some things and adds some really convenient features), and so Java seems kinda primitive to me since it doesn't have things like properties, boxing/unboxing, operator overloading, unsafe code, etc... Also, the .Net core libraries seem to be a little more neatly laid out than Java's -- or at least my personal preference is for .Net's. I also prefer C#'s compilation model, where everything is compiled into one .exe, as opposed to Java's, where everything is compiled into a bunch of class files.

Just my ten cents...

- Fuzz

If I had my choice I prolly would have started out with C++ but our school for some reason is stuck on teaching java so I think once I get really good with Java I'll switch over to C++. I heard theyre very similar and switching over isn't al that hard. Any1 know any good Java beginner game programming books?

I personally does not like java at all, it feels old and klinky <- (you make up what that mean)

but best java compiler I have tried was eclipse it's free and all.

Java is great language, as is c++, c#, python etc....

For good free IDE's use netbeans 4.0 or eclipse.

One thing you should learn is to compile using ANT (ant.apache.org).
Netbeans and I'm prety sure eclipse, base their project off of ant scripts these days.

I'm indifferent to Java. I do find that is has some features that are better than using C++, and vice versa. However, I wouldn't consider myself an expert programmer in either language by a long shot, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean as much.

As far as IDEs go, though, try either Netbeans, Eclipse, or even BlueJ (I don't exactly recommend BlueJ, but if you feel bold give it a shot). I think at one point I just used Scintilla to type up my text and ran it through a command-line compiler.

Books on Java game development? Hmm... don't know of any off the top of my head, but try doing a search on the GameDev book archive for it. You can probably find at least a good game programming theory book, and that would work with just about any language.

I don't like Java. JCreator is probably the best IDE I've used. Most of the other IDE's are made with Java and, thus, are pretty crappy (JCreator is made with C++).

I don't like Java because i feel humiliated by the way it baby-sits me on memory management. The garbage collecting functionality in java makes programmers act like spoiled children playing with their toys until they lose their interest in them, at which they throw away the toy for their over-protective mothers to pick up. I don't think that it's sound practice.

/Staffan Einarsson

Guest Anonymous Poster
I like java. It is very ease to port programs form one platform to another.

Its not really a question of whether I like a language or don't like a language, it is mearly a question of whether that language features are best suited to the application I am developing.

I have used C++ and Java, and I feel that Java is a maturing language after all it has only really be in wide spread use for about 10-12(IIRC) years whereas as C++ has been in use for about 2 - 3 decades(C, C with Classes, C++)(IIRC).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement