• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tarviathun

BSP: Outdated?

This topic is 4970 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have read a large quantity of material concerning "modern day" scene management. Some of these articles that I'm reading are saying that Carmack's method of BSP tree implementation is not needed with today's hardware nor with today's "next generation" of engines. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
bsp trees can be solved completely to give complete front to back drawing [no overdraw], which was a lot more useful back in the doom era

now days a little overdraw is accepted [and bsps now are both 3d and not solved enough to eliminate all overdraw]

however, just because the effects aren't as significant, doesn't mean the benefits are useless.

"now days a little overdraw is accepted"

Actually, overdraw can be used to your advantage these days. If you draw your scene LOOSELY front to back, the hardware heirachical z-buffer will early-out a lot of pixels.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!