• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

openGL versions & lighting ???

This topic is 4791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy guys! 1] I am new to openGL and I got a big question about openGL versions?? Well I saw in the OpenGl.org that new version is 2 ?? I checked my \program files\MS visual studio\include\GL\gl.h and that file is created in 1996 !!! But in SDL.h it is 2004!!! Do I have to update my gl.h , glu.h files??? 2] I can understand the version different in DirectX. The library files are updating with it, but what about opengl32.dll ?? Does it change?? 3] And another question about openGL lighting! In DirectX there are 3 types of lighting, Direct,Spotlight...etc. Does OpenGL have that kind of lighting types?? Thanks!

Advertisement
1. No you don't have to update your header files. The version included in windows is OpenGL 1.1. Newer functionality is provided by extensions.

2. No

3. Yes, you can have both directional or spotlights in opengl

You get the newer features by updating your video card drivers and using glext.h.

Odds are you won't have to worry about using them for a while.

To use extensions AND core features newer than 1.1 find and download glext.h.
Then get entry points to new functions with wglGetProcAddress().

A better way is to use an extension loading library like GLEW which sets up everything with just one function call: glewInit(). After that all 2.0 features and extensions are ready to use (if your video card supports them).

No. Just update video card drivers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement