• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectDraw back?

This topic is 4787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I thought DirectDraw died with DirectX8. Now I was looking for a DirectX c# tutorial and I find one on DirectDraw using c# and DX9 SDK. Why is DirectDraw back for c#? Or is it still just the old DirectDraw and Direct3d is what one should always use? -CProgrammer

Advertisement
DirectDraw is indeed available in MDX but if you look at the documentation you will see it has been declared deprecated and hence you should try to avoid using it.

It has not died, and if MS isn't stupid it never will. It will still be available, but not be updated anymore.

Breaking compatibility is one of the highest prioritizes things on MS list. That's why you can still run Win 3.11 apps on XP even. They'd shoot themselves in their feet if they'd really remove it.

most of the mdx stuff in the docs is declared as deprecated

Thanks guys.
Offcourse microsoft must keep the compatibility.
I was just interested in wether its still upgraded and hence worth learning.
-CProgrammer

no, it's no longer being updated. I think you'll find (in MDX, anyway, from my experience) that it's really better to just not go that route. Using D3D will make your life a lot easier, in the end. What I'd also suggest is that you check out the Sprite object in MDX for doing your 2D in 3D, makes life super simple ;)

depreciated or not, they can't remove it from the next dx because of backwards compatibility issues. why would they suddenly remove support for dx3? wouldn't they want you to play Monster Truck Madness in dx38? i see dos games are going the way of the dinosaur because their dos emulation is getting shoddier and shoddier, but they can't stab themselves in the back; it doesn't make sense for them to.

course they're not going to remove the functionality for backwards compatability reasons, but that's hardly a reason to keep using deprecated technology. Especially true when the newer stuff provides the same type of functionality, easily, plus additional bonuses.

I believe I read DirectX9 to be the last installment of DX. Longhorn will use a new API made from scratch with more focus on shaders. Don't remember what it was called.

To CProgrammer..

I just got into learning gfx.. And altho I know DirectDraw is no more being upgraded, I still believe that you should learn it.. I find it helpful to learn older "techniques", if you will..

Unless I'm missing out on something..
At least for 2D, what should be a good choice? I'd say DirectDraw..

I may be wrong, given I don't have any deep experience at all..

Quote:
Original post by Lightstrike
I believe I read DirectX9 to be the last installment of DX. Longhorn will use a new API made from scratch with more focus on shaders. Don't remember what it was called.

XNA. Read: convergence between XBOX and PCs :)

But IMHO DirectX will still be built inside (on top of?) XNA, and since DDraw is a part of "da old DX7", we may continue to use it anyway. Just remember that doing 2D in a 3D world give you more freedom than doing 2D in a 2D world.

Regards,

Actually XNA is not the replacement, although it can be used at a higher level.

D3D has been replaced with WGF in Longhorn, DPlay has been replaced, and I am unsure of what the other DirectX components are being called atm.

Also I would stay away from DirectDraw as it is depreciated and the only time it should be used imo is when you are already working with a DDraw application. Using D3D for 2D graphics is definately the way to go, easier and more options available to you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement