Hero Chess (screens and download)

Started by
5 comments, last by PsychoDude 19 years, 3 months ago
Hello all! I just finished a game that I have been working on for the past 3-4 weeks and it turned out just as I planned it would. You can download it by going to my site HERE (tripod doesn't allow direct downloads) and cliking the download link. Speaking of tripod, I'm most likely going to deplete my bandwidth allowance =o Anyways, the file is 8mb in a zip format. While you're downloading, I'm just going to quote my readme file because that explains just about everything you need to know. Oh, and you also need Windows and the Visual Studio .NET framework, you can get it at www.microsoft.com, but just about everyone should have it.
Quote: Project: Hero Chess Version: 1.0 --- Note --- If you are reading this, then you are most likely a game dever as well. If you are then good, I made this to give encouragement to those working on their projects, but have found themselves unwanting to proceed in order to finish them. I know how that feels, and I wanted to quit this in particular one and work on a new game, but I continued anyways. Now I can safely say that it's best to just do it, be proud of the results, and yada yada yada. By the way, chess is a good intermediate project to code.. same goes for a simple turn-based RPG. If you want to know how I did anything, just ask. I'm not as experienced as so many others out there, but I try to help as much I can because so many have helped me. --- Game Desc --- Just another chess game, except in 3D with animated models and a few primitive effects. The AI isn't very good.. in fact it's horrible. This is mainly for 2 human-type players, but I threw in the AI so that people could test the game without "playing by themselves." If you find any bugs, then it's most likely with the king-checking, stale-mating, or check-mating. Other than that, if the game crashes because you went fullscreen then delete the file settings.cfg to remove the saved video settings. Do not manually edit that file. -- CONTROLS --- You only need the mouse for this, unless you do not have a mouse wheel... Escape: main menu Left Click: select / move / attack Right Click: unselect unit Mouse Wheel Up -OR- Arrow Up Key: Zoom In Mouse Wheel Down -OR- Arrow Down Key: Zoom Out IMPORTANT: The cursor snaps to the middle of the window when you alt-tab. Go to the main menu to properly recontrol the cursor.
your comments from my previous "game" were really helpful, I fixed a lot of issues and they should not exist in this one =o ohyeah, and I said that I'd post screens as well... bishop (sorcerer) attacks pawn knight pierces weak little pawn if the game doesn't work then first, I'm sorry, and second, the answer lies in the log.dat file. It's a real toothache when it comes to the files, if anything is missing then it won't bother to continue. And I just fixed the "eval.piece is dead... flag forgotten somewhere" error and reuploaded the file in case you were getting a tripod error... didn't even have enough space for both... and I just realized that the "x wins" message is wrong. This is minor, I'll fix it later. [Edited by - Lee_ on January 8, 2005 10:53:08 AM]
Advertisement
Great job with the game. I've just recently become very interested in chess again, so I really enjoyed this.

Technically everything worked fine, and some of the animations were quite amusing [smile] There were a few problems with the way the chess rules are implemented, but these were all related to mating, which it seems you already know about.

Also there are many free chess engines out there designed to be backends to a graphical interface, which you might be able to use to improve the AI if you wish to take that further.

And just a couple of suggestions/comments.
Having the cursor move when the camera moves, and also the camera moving in relation to the mouse cursor made selecting a particular square a little fiddly sometimes, as I would have the cursor where I wanted it only to have it shifted when the camera moves to re-focus on the selected square (I hope that made sense). Maybe having the option to have the camera only moved manually (say right-click and drag or something) would help.
The models mostly look the part, but a few (the rook and queen in particular) don't really give any visual hints as to what piece they represent. The minimap helps with this, but making the queen obviously female, and maybe a big hulking character of somesort for the rook would be nice.

Overall though, good work on finishing a game, and a fun one at that [wink]
A m a z i n g ! ! !

Whoa! Kudos to you, sir!

My only gripe about it would be lack of control with the camera (I could zoom in and out and pan it left and right, but I couldn't rotate or move the camera to a more over-head shot). Regardless, what you did has inspired me.

From looking at your work experience and how you advanced that much in a year... well... wow. All I can say. All I can hope is to become as good you in a year :)

-Kronikle

[Edited by - Kronikle66 on January 10, 2005 8:28:10 PM]
-Kronikle
thanks for the comments you guys [smile]

You two are absolutely correct about the camera issues. It used to look at the selector from a non-moving position, but that was even more awkward. I wanted to change it, but I gained such a huge tolerance for the strafing that I just simply forgot about it. In the end, I noticed it a little more so I added the zooming feature. On a funny note, the perspective matrix tweens from cutscene (widescreen) and back to selection-view. It used to adjust very slowly and at a higher field of view... this almost made me throw up.

There are so many bugs I noticed though, about 20. It's like they're having babies or something =o . I'll probably release another version, but it wouldn't have any huge differences worth redownloading for. I prefer to move on because I have such limited time on my hands. In fact, I've already begun my next project. Right now I'm just looking for the resources - the more difficult part in my opinion. If you can model and texture decent looking weapons at a reasonable triangle count (~2,000) then we should talk. The game will not be huge, just a first person shooter test using a few shaders (mainly the basic one, phong illumination) so that I can get a better feel for integrating them.. and stuff. [grin]
Very good, great job!

Well done on finishing a project, that deserves muchos props!
I'm downloading it but haven't put it on yet... I guess I'm hoping your a nice lad that doesn't put delete c: somewhere in their code :-P ;-)
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Best chess game I've ever seen, although several things which kinda annoyed me about the control of the camera.

The fact that there is no cursor ingame makes it kinda hard to see what you're doing, just the feeling like something is missing and can't really focus quick to something you wanna attack.

Also the moving over the board by the mouse is kinda nice, but it's kinda slow. Besides that I think it is easier when you give the player the option to use the arrow keys for moving the camera and use shift+arrrowup/arrowdown for the zooming.

Also it's kinda fun to see how stupid my computer is after he was thinking and the rules he disobeyed when it comes to chess, lol :P. The thing didn't even move his king whilst he stood check :P. Ah well, maybe he was smart enough to realize I would have owned him anyways 8).

Keep up the good work :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement