Is casting O(1)?

Started by
30 comments, last by SiCrane 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by petewood
Slightly OffTopic but if you're using casts in your main program code (i.e. away from loading files, or sending network data), then there is quite possibly a problem with your design.

petewood
Are you implying this applies to dynamic_casts??

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Advertisement
If you guys didn't notice he is asking about Big O here.
Unless a loop or recursion is involved, its O(1), if its a single loop its O(N). I don't know if you can cast an array to something like a vector, but something like that would be the only time I would see any thing that isn't O(1).

If it depends on the size of the object (like he said), then it isn't O(1). It doesn't have to involve a loop.
In Big O, if you have a series of instructions where code is not run more then once, its O(1). Even function calls are O(1), and a constructor would fall under that definition, unless the constructor itself contains a loop to do initialzation, it would be O(1). It doesn't matter how many instructions replace the single one you made in code (the casting that is replaced with the constructor if its an object to object cast, either using a copy constructor or one writen by the class author). You can write a program consisting of 100 lines of the same thing, and have another program with 1 loop that runs 100 times, the first is O(1) and the second is O(n).
Edit: Should expand on that. Big-O is about getting an Idea as to how well the algorithim works, an O(1) algorithim (no loops) may actually take longer to run then O(n), its just a way to guestimate things.
Edit2: I think this might explain it better then I can
http://www.me.berkeley.edu/~e77/lecnotes/ch20/ch20.htm

[Edited by - Xipher on January 8, 2005 10:17:36 PM]
Quote:Original post by Xipher
In Big O, if you have a series of instructions where code is not run more then once, its O(1). Even function calls are O(1), and a constructor would fall under that definition, unless the constructor itself contains a loop to do initialzation, it would be O(1). It doesn't matter how many instructions replace the single one you made in code (the casting that is replaced with the constructor if its an object to object cast, either using a copy constructor or one writen by the class author). You can write a program consisting of 100 lines of the same thing, and have another program with 1 loop that runs 100 times, the first is O(1) and the second is O(n). Runtime is NOT what Big-O is about.

No, you are mistaken about what Big O notation means, although it is partly at fault to the wording of the question at hand.

First, in your example, where you give the example of the 100 iteration loop and it's unraveled counterpart, you claim that the two have different complexity, stating that one is O(n) while the other is O(1). The problem is that you never defined what "n" is. In any normal sense of your analysis, "n" would be defined as the amount of objects of which you are iterating over, which here would be 100. Just because one is handled in a loop while the other is not in no way changes the fact that the complexity with respect to the number of elements is O(n).

There is the same exact fault with the original posters question: What is "n." When working with algorithms that operate on an iterator range, "n" is usually the number of elements in the range. Here, however, there is no obvious "n." Assuming pointer types, is "n" the number of bases a type being pointed to has, or perhaps the maximum number of virtual bases it has in series leading to the casted type, or what? Until you define what "n" is, asking to analyze the algorithm with Big O notation is completely meaningless. It would be like telling someone to take the derivative of a function -- your question should be "with respect to what." Until you answer that, you can go no further, since your question is not fully formed.
Thanks for the correction. I haven't gotten that far into my CS curriculum yet. I have learned about Big O, although only recently, and haven't really gotten to understand it very well yet.
Suppose you have to search an element in an unsorted array of n elements. What do you do? Compare the first, the second,...until you find it!
How many comparisons do you need? 1, 3, 7 we dont know...but we must consider the 'worst case' that is n so we say that this algorithm is O(n).
In practice this does not mean that we have 'n' instructions but the multiplicative term (K) is implicit in O() so we say that K*n instructions is similar to O(n).

Other algorithms are 'slower'. For example consider an algorithm in which you have to search the nearest two elements in the same unsorted array.

Compare the first with the second, third,...,nth
Compare the second with the third,...,nth
Compare (n-1)th with nth

You have done n*(n-1)*(n-2)...(1) comparison that is (if i remember!)

n*(n-1)/2 that is similar to n2/2 that is O(n2)

If you have an algorithm independent from the size of the object we say that it is O(1) so a sqrt with double precision and an int sum have the same complexity
O(1) altough the first is slower than the second!
Quote:Original post by blizzard999
If you have an algorithm independent from the size of the object we say that it is O(1)

Size of the input, you mean... Input might be more than one object. ;)
As was mentioned before, n might be number of objects, or the size of one object, or a dozen other things. The complexity depends on that
definition 1) Casting is performed on a single object. Cast obj1 to obj2

definition 2) If the algorithm is independent from the size of the object it is O(1)
Quote:Original post by chollida1
Quote:Original post by petewood
Slightly OffTopic but if you're using casts in your main program code (i.e. away from loading files, or sending network data), then there is quite possibly a problem with your design.

petewood
Are you implying this applies to dynamic_casts??

Yes, I mean dynamic casts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement