• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[java] Render to BufferdImage?

This topic is 4881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am searching for a method to quickly visualise my scene, to set the camera right etc., before starting to render it (takes a few seconds to minutes). Currently i'm using a downtuned version of my "quality" renderer but I thought about switching to some kind of wireframe renderer. I tried implementing a basic wireframerenderer in software but framerates get rather low (i.e. 10-20 FPS) when i'm around 35k triangles. So I was thinking about using JOGL/Java3D to improve performance. Currently I'm displaying everything by directly modifying the data of a BufferedImage and then drawing this to the JFrame's Graphics Object. I was wondering if it is possible to render an Image with JOGL (or something else) to a BufferedImage or something else I can easely display in my JFrame? What kind of "representation" do I need of my triangles? (i.e. all in a long list, special structure)? And last but not least what performance can I expect (#triangles visible while maintaining a decent framerate) on a modern graphics card? EDIT: I've just done some reading about JOGL and it seems like it just draws to some kind of Component (that can be added to a JFrame). So how can I "turn this Component on" and "turn it off" so I can draw to the JFrame's Graphics (i.e. myJFrame.getGraphics()) myself? Note: I honestly don't know alot about OpenGL/DX but I have programmed a small software rasterizer in the past. [Edited by - Lotuspec on January 9, 2005 4:51:57 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!