First Game Idea???

Started by
5 comments, last by Adams555 19 years, 3 months ago
I want to make a game using C++ and SDL... I have read cone3d's excellent SDL tutorial, but I don't know that much about game structure to know where to start. Tic-Tac-Toe??? Tetris??? Arkanoid??? (then again don't know the code to, for example, check if a block hits something in tetris) So I need an idea and some help from sites etc. Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Start with tetris. Use logic and try to do it yourself. Your gunna need a game loop to run through all of the important game things and your gunna need to make sure you understand a little bit about collision detection.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
my first came was mine sweeper, and i wrote it in c
I would say you need to get out a piece of paper and write out the algorithem (er series of steps) that completes you task like tetris:

1. see where block is
2. do input stuff
3. update block position
4. repeat forever as fast as you possibly can

something like that.

Without knowing your coding experience, I would suggest the bouncing ball demo. If you can move the ball around and bounce it off the walls and/or other objects, it will give you more insight to what is going on with your sprites. If you are looking to go from the ground up with SDL I would recommend the "Programming Linux Games" ebook. It is a free download and even though it says Linux, chapter 4 is called "Mastering SDL". It cross compiles fine on Windows.
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
I agree with Grellin, you should try to create a bouncing ball demo. They are very easy to make and are a very good starting point. The main logic in a bouncing ball demo is bounds checking (making sure that the ball is always within the screen), so that will you give you your first taste of collision detection.

After that, I would suggest either one of the games you mentioned or a Snake game (which was my first game after I made a bouncing ball demo many years ago!).

Anyway, good luck with your first project! Remember to have fun and break up any problems that arise into smaller pieces and solve them that way.
Jason Arorajason@pubism.comhttp://www.pubism.com
I made a grafical tic-tac-toe as the first game I made, then I made a pong clone.

I would suggest any of those, making pong will teach you anything that tetris would and you will get more time to boost about it with your friends :)
Here are a couple of good first games.

Pong
Tetris (slightly difficult for a first game, actually, if you dont have much programming experience..)
Snake (personally, this was my first game.)
or..
You could do a game of your own design, or a copy of another persons off a game site. Personally, I made a copy of This game.. It was my first game in java, though I'm sure it could be done easily in c++.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement