• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Rendering Text in a Chat Window

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so I'd like to make a small chat window for my game (for multiplayer mode, really). So, I'm gonna make a small box and render text into it with the D3DXFONT library. Now, heres my problem -- How do I know how many rows a line of text is going to take? That is, if it's too long I'll have to split it to two rows, or maybe more. I could render all the text as one Draw call, which would automagically word wrap, but then I won't be able to select which rows I'm showing the user... Is there any way to calculate this, cause I've been looking everywhere. Also, I plan to render the chat box to a texture whenever it changes, then use the sprite interface to render the texture every frame. This is a good idea, right?

Advertisement
The docs say that the return value of DrawText is the height of the text.
Quote:
Return Value

If the function succeeds, the return value is the height of the text in logical units. If DT_VCENTER or DT_BOTTOM is specified, the return value is the offset from pRect->top to the bottom of the drawn text.

If the function fails, the return value is zero.

You may want to "verify" the heights/positions of your text objects using the DT_CALCRECT setting.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement