• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kcabsinosam

A Second Programming Language

This topic is 5063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in learning a different language while I am learning OpenGL in C++ because I am getting rather bored with it, and I want to be able to work on a few things in case I get bored. So I have a list of ones I want to learn, but cannot decide which. Also, no fighting which language is better, I just want your opinion, and no feedback on other's opinions. C# VB.NET Auto-It(lol yes, always an option) Java Scripting Language for C++(make a suggestion)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Learning another language as you learn c++ will be tricky if you want to learn c++ to any decent level. It takes years to truely master.

C# if you want something similar and directly usable.

Erlang, Common Lisp or Eiffel if you want something different.

[Edited by - Trap on January 8, 2005 6:38:51 PM]

Just to clarify. Opengl is an API not a language, and the api is C, not C++.

Not trying to be a d*** or anything.

Seriously though, after your "competent" with C/C++ I'd look into x86 assembler just so you know how code generation works. If you find x86 hard to pick up trasition from 68k it's a motorolla assember but very basic.

After that I'd dive into a scripting language. Either lua or python imo.

From there all other languages are cake to pick up.

[edit]
I'd learn win32 a bit also. And pick up something for rad dev. Borland Builder or C#.
[/edit]

Guest Anonymous Poster
java is is similar to c++. If you want to use gl in it take a look at lwjgl.org .

Of those choices, try VB.NET or Java.

I stay away from C# purely because it's yet another of microsoft's examples of "Hey look, this thing is realy good and quite popular, lets make something just like it, but try and make it better and call it a standard, so that virtually everybody uses it, and we can extract lots of money out of them!"

I'm having one of those anti-MS days. It's called a weekday, or sometimes a weekend.

brainf*ck. Or if you don't want to go crazy programming anything simpler than a program that prints 1-10, check out functional languages. They are very different from what you are used to. Personally I recommend OCaml as it's probably the easiest to transition to from C/C++ (since it has imperitive features). Other notable functional languages would be Lisp, Scheme and Haskell.

If you are not familiar with functional languages, don't expect an easy transition from imperitive (C/C++) to functional. They are completely different paradigms. Pure functional languages don't have variables or loops for example. They rely on functions (big surprise there) and recursion.

I suggest Python. It is easy to pick up, very flexible, comes with a large standard library, is easy to extend with modules written in C++, and only slightly more difficult to embed in a C++ program. And yet, it is different enough from C++ that it will allow you to actually learn new things (unlike, say, Java or C#, which are much closer to C++ in their operating principles).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!