circle

Started by
2 comments, last by DavW 19 years, 3 months ago
you might think this is a stupid question, but how do you make a plane circle, like a square, but just a circle?
Advertisement
Mathematically: (x-xcenter)2+(y-ycenter)2 = radius2.

Graphically, you have to break it down into a number of segments: OpenGL doesn't have a function to render curves (aside from NURBS, but that's a separate issue), and I assume DX doesn't either. So you would probably do something like:

void draw_circle(float radius, unsigned int sides){   float delta_angle = 6.283185 / sides;   float angle = 0;   glBegin(GL_LINE_LOOP);   for (unsigned int index = 0; index < sides; ++index, angle+= delta_angle)      glVertex2f(radius*cos(angle), radius*sin(angle));   glEnd();}

So, it's really an n-sided regular polygon but, with enough sides, it's indistinguishable from a circle.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
its like a pizza. a square only has 4 verts, but as you keep adding more the shape becomes more and more like a circle

you also need to use sin and cos, but they are easy you just get the sin and cos of your angls and multiply them by your radius
so to make a sircle with 12 points you would:

degree = 360/12;
radius = 2;
for (int i=0; i<12; i++) {
int x = sin(i*degree)*radius;
int y = cos(i*degree)*radius;
PutDot(x,y);
}

void PutDot(int x, int y) {
//...
}

if PutDot did anything it would put 12 dots in a circle exactly 2ish away from {0,0}
Just a quick note to prevent confusion
Laserus: You are using sin and cos with degree values. If you are using the functions from math.h you will first need to convert the angles to radians by multiplying each angle by pi/180.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement