[web] Perl sending messages to script....?

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 3 months ago
I made a script, which works oke. But now I want to expand it so it can receive certain commands in runtime. I want this for monitoring perposes, for example, I need to know what's in a certain variable. I could write the values to a file but I don't want that because I would have to print it within an interval which doesn't let me see the live values.... a very small interval is not a smart idea either. I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell. Example: testscript.pl The script is running for a few hours and I want to be able to send a command like "list actions".
Advertisement
You can listen on a socket:

#!/usr/bin/perluse strict;use IO::Socket;$|++; # turn off buffering# set up a socketmy $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(  LocalPort => '27690',                                   Type => SOCK_STREAM,                                   Listen => 1,                                   Reuse => 1,                                   Timeout => .1,                                  ) || die $!;# this is your script while (1){	# do whatever c00l stuff	# you are already doing	my $name = 'Bob';	my $time = localtime;	# check for a command	if (my $inc = $sock->accept) {		while (defined(my $cmd = <$inc>)){			print $inc "recieved: $cmd";			print $inc eval $cmd, "\n";			$inc->close;		}	}}

then just connect with netcat or whatever, and pass it perl expressions:

e.g:

grazer@localhost grazer $ nc localhost 27690
$time
recieved: $time
Wed Jan 19 01:34:55 2005

$name
recieved: $name
Bob

1+1
recieved: 1+1

Just be careful that this is not exposed to the internet for obvious security reasons.

HTH,
-g
Thanks [smile] I bet that will do the trick. Is there also a more secure way of achieving this? Anyway, it's meant to see the results of a few actions. I will put something in the code that it accepts only a couple of commands. Plus, I won't be using "eval" since I don't want to execute the commands I'm sending.

It will probably be something like this:
	# check for a command	if (my $inc = $sock->accept)	{		while (defined(my $cmd = <$inc>))		{			if ($cmd eq 'dosomething')			{				print "I gotta do something\n";			}			$inc->close;		}	}
The insecurity comes mostly from the "eval", in the actual system, I would most likely just set up a dispatch table of available commands, something like (untested):

my %cmds = (    show_data => \&show_foo_data,    my_foobar => \&foobar_method,    finish    => sub { exit },);$cmds{$command_from_network}->();sub show_foo_data {    # do stuff}sub foobar_method {    # do other stuff}

this way, you can run specific callbacks without having to worry about executing arbitrary code.

good luck,
Hey that's a great idea (the hash thing). why didn't I come up with that idea? That's much better than using if statements... plus, it's easier to expand or disable commands.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement