FTP access in OSX

Started by
22 comments, last by Witchcraven 19 years, 3 months ago
don't ask why I'm using a Mac. It's not by choice. I've figured out how to access an FTP server from this machine, but only with read access, no write access. This is driving me nuts, I really want to move some files around and don't want to use my tiny jump drive. Anyway, the current way that I'm doing it is through Go->Connect to Server->(type in ftp://username@ftpserver)->(open up new network drive on dsktop). Apparently this only gives you read access, even though you have to input your password to actually get in, so obviously you aren't the account owner </sarcasm>.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Cyberduck free FTP client?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

we'll see, I don't have admin access for THIS Mac.

Okay, there are two labs, one in the art department, one in the compsci deptartment. In the art dept, I have no admin access. In the CS dept, apparently there is no need for admin access (I've already installed firefox). Right now, I'm in the art dept.

edit: bah, no dice on the cyberduck

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

click me

Quote:Finder doesn't mount FTP as writable because FTP is not a network file system. FTP lacks filesystem controls for locking files during writes and preventing race conditions where two processes might be reading/writing the same data. Basically, there's a lot more going on in something like HFS than just reading and writing and because FTP lacks this, it's unsuitable for such applications.

however, you should be able to telnet in and use commands like get and put
Quote:Original post by Perfunction
click me

Quote:Finder doesn't mount FTP as writable because FTP is not a network file system. FTP lacks filesystem controls for locking files during writes and preventing race conditions where two processes might be reading/writing the same data. Basically, there's a lot more going on in something like HFS than just reading and writing and because FTP lacks this, it's unsuitable for such applications.

however, you should be able to telnet in and use commands like get and put

sure, because we can't build a GUI FTP client into the Finder, nooo, that would be too much like Windows, and we don't want to be useful like Windows.

I don't know if I can telnet in, I also am locked out of the terminal. EGAD!

with such brilliant IINOF-centric argumentation, we shouldn't be able to have write access to FTP at all, because it, omg, lacks locking... Of course, FTP have no locking, but world certanly will not be destroyed if 2 different computers will at same time write to one file using FTP. Heck, it sometimes happens no matter what FTP client you use, without any major troubles.
Quote:Original post by Dmytry

with such brilliant IINOF-centric argumentation, we shouldn't be able to have write access to FTP at all, because it, omg, lacks locking... Of course, FTP have no locking, but world certanly will not be destroyed if 2 different computers will at same time write to one file using FTP. Heck, it sometimes happens no matter what FTP client you use, without any major troubles.

No, this is just "Lazy Developer" syndrome - dress up a glitch, bug, or lack of feature with mumbo-jumbo and a crappy excuse [grin]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by Dmytry

exactly. I wonder how much FTP use (other than file sharing) is done by multiple people on a shared account?

Use FTP from the command prompt (although you use Windows so you're probably afraid of doing anything other than clicking pretty icons, hey I can bash things for no reason too). Or, you can get Transmit; you don't need admin access to run it from the .dmg
You should be able to install packages into your user's folder, without having to need an administrator account. Although if you can't get the proper permissions from the ftp server by using just pure sftp, I would assume that it would be more of a permissions problem for that folder. Which, isn't that difficult to fix, as long as you can chmod that folder.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement