Few Weapon Models.... CRITICIZE!

Started by
15 comments, last by JeffHealey 19 years, 2 months ago
Anywho, i made a few weapons models. I'm planning on making 30+ weapons + shields + a carrage + horse/saddle + whatever else i think of and selling them all in a group for like 10$ or so. Anywho, i was wondering what you all think of these weapons i just made a bit ago. They are all under 250 polys i think and took under 1 hour to make each. Please tell me what you think/ what can be changed etc. http://www32.brinkster.com/colosseo/showcase.jpg -Thanks, Jeff Healey
Advertisement
18 people have viewed this... no comments at ALL?
probably because that URL doesn't work... ?
Weapons
Cannot tell much from the geometry itself (with the exception that I don't like the magic wand, but that's just a mater odf personal taste and not about its quality). It looks good to me. I like the second, more detailed spear.

You should, however, post a render instead of a screenshot. The image quality is very poor so it's hard to judge the models.

I thought they looked great, one thing though, for the throwing axe, it was a nice touch to take out chunks in the blade, but i dont think that pattern suits it. wouldnt mind seeing them textured, oh, and the shields are kinda hard to distinguish from each other (especially the back 2)

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Looks nice, but you really need to texture them as well. If nothing else at least make a basic texture map that differentiate the different parts of the weapons. It's a little hard to see the details as it is, and the shields blend into each other.

From left to right:

That first sword would be completely useless. It looks wicked though. You need to make a pommel (weight at the end of the handle) to move the balance closer to the centre of the hilt. It should also have a larger cross guard and perhaps a somewhat slimmer blade to make it look nicer.

The axe looks nice except for the "bulge" near the axe head (where it starts to taper)

I can't even see what this is supposed to be

I can't see the handle end of the mace, but it should have a pommel as well. With maces you do want most of the weigth at the business end, but the pommel makes it easier to control (if you swing and miss for example)

The longsword looks nice, but it should have larger pommel, and perhaps remove whatever it is where the cross guard and the blade meets (You don't want the enemies sword to slide toward the ends of the cross guards

The first spear look nice, but perhaps the head should be slightly slimmer.

The second spear looks ok.

The shields are too hard to see to comment on. Not even one of them is in full view. I would suggest placing them so that they don't block each other or the weapons, but not front forward. Also make sure they're "pointed" straight down. This will make it easier to see how they're supposed to look.
Hrm, well i just bought a Maya book to learn maya better . I want to learn how to texture but i can never understand UV mapping.. it never works out right for me. If anyone knows how and wants to teach me i'd appreciate it. I looked all over for tutuorials but none work right for me.

Anywho.. What is a pommel? I'll post individual pictures of each model later. There is actually allot of detail that you cant see just because of the greyness..

Thanks for constructive criticism, i'll fix the points you have talked about.
for maya, just use project uv'a and turn your camera to each of your faces, selecting all of them on that side.

EDIT: all the models look more then acceptable, except the thingy with a bunch of holes that somebody called a throwing axe.
Quote:Original post by JeffHealey
Anywho.. What is a pommel?

^    | |    | |    | |    | |    | |    | |        <- this is the blade    | |    | |    | |    | |    | | [==@=@==]     <- this is the cross gaurd    |X|    |X|        <- this is the hilt    |X|    |X|    /-\        <- this is the pommel    \-/        

Find a broom (one with a wooden handle is preferable). Now hold it by the extreme far end of the handle, with the bristles in the air in front of you. If you are really holding the broom by its end, this position will feel very awkward because there is far more weight in front of your hand than behind. Your hand acts like a pivot, so it will be much easier to hold the broom in the air if you move your hand farther up the rod until the weight in front of and behind your hand is about equal. A sword follows the same principal, except that holding a sword by its middle is not an option because you would cut your hand open on the blade. Now reverse the broom and hold it just above the bristles, with the rest of the handle in front of you. This may or may not actually be balanced, but it should feel a lot more balanced than holding it on the other end. The pommel of a sword serves the same purpose as the bristles in this experiment: to move the center of gravity back toward the hand of the wielder. The heavier the pommel, the farther back it will move. An ideal sword would have a center of gravity right under the wielder's hand. The problem with your swords is that they lack real pommels and thus would have their center of gravity in an awkward position in the middle of the blade.

Wow. That came out a lot longer than I expected.

EDIT: Added source tags to fix the spacing on the ASCII sword.
Quote:Original post by mumpo
Wow. That came out a lot longer than I expected.

And very well! Great explaination. I couldn't have said it better myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement