can page flipping technique be used for MK style games?

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 3 months ago
Don't know if this is the right post in the forum. So apologies to all, no offense! Here goes the question: Can the page flipping technique be used for making Mortal Kombat style games? We are talking about this style of action along with a bit of 2d arcade exploration game here.Do you think that irrlicht engine can be used for the purpose. Any views and opinoins are welcome.
Advertisement
Page flipping is a technique used to deflicker animations as they are being drawn to the screen; it is not best suited to any one type of game, as far as I know it is used in *every* game on the face of the planet, it's just a standard.
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
Quote:Original post by andrewk3652
Page flipping is a technique used to deflicker animations as they are being drawn to the screen; it is not best suited to any one type of game, as far as I know it is used in *every* game on the face of the planet, it's just a standard.

Would you guys happen to be talking about double/triple buffering? I was thrown off with the "page flipping" earlier but now it makes sense. If this is the case, then I would have to agree that it is almnost standard to use some sort of page flipping - even windows apps have to use them!
page flipping is a form of double buffering

check out this article
double buffering and page flipping

double buffering does a block line transfer and page flipping changes the video pointer to your buffer
Translation: Page flipping is faster because all you're doing is telling the video "Here draw this now." Double buffering requires an actual line by line copy, which takes considerably more time.
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
Yes, but 99.9% of the time when someone says double buffering they mean page flipping nowadays, because true double bufferings is unneccesary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement