• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kSquared

"GDNet launched" ... ?!

This topic is 5299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
We should also be launching our spider within the next few weeks, which will crawl the web searching for game development related websites and resources.

I wonder which site that spider is going to index first...

Quote:
Original post by Yann L
Let me quote the bottom of almost every page on www.gamedev.net:
Quote:

GameDev.net™, the GameDev.net logo, and GDNet™ are trademarks of GameDev.net, LLC

Emphasis added.

Well pwn3d, sir! [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Zanthos

Search for GDNet at google... GameDev.net only appears a few places above the wannabe site.

I think "Sue their asses off!" is a bit too far. How about just dropping them a polite e-mail? That would be the calm and rational thing to do.

Quote:
Original post by siaspete
I think "Sue their asses off!" is a bit too far. How about just dropping them a polite e-mail? That would be the calm and rational thing to do.

Either way, this is an issue for Dave, Kevin and the rest of the GameDev.net LLC management team to deal with now.

i can't believe noone from here has replied to that thread on the TV3D website.

edit: actually, yes, I can, because I myself am too lazy to take the time to do as such.

Quote:
Original post by siaspete

US trademark law doesn't work this way. There are very specific procedures to follow in the case of a trademark infringement, depending on the exact situation (especially if the infringing party uses the trademark to generate revenue from the abuse of the name). If you don't challenge the infringement, you can actually lose the ownership of your trademark.

The usual steps would be having your lawyer (or legal department) send a cease and desist letter, eventually followed by a lawsuit for trademark infringement, if the offending party doesn't follow the c&d order. Of course, it's upon the trademark owner (gamedev.net LLC in this case) to decide over the best approach for this specific case.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I was pointed here by one of our team members to address the GameDev community reaction to our new website.

Please take note that our site is not named GDNet, the official name is the Game Development Resource Library, or GDRL for short. The logo you see is in reference to the domain name, and should be pronounced GD (dot) Net, which is now trademarked by Truevision3D, LLC. Before I did my market research I had initially planned to call the site GDNet, until I noticed the trademark remark on the page here. (Although, the trademark does not turn up in a US Gov't trademark search, and I was able to pay for the registration of GDNet as an official trademark of Truevision3D. I pulled the trademark request on my own out of respect for GameDev and what it has done for the indie dev community. I do, however, suggest that GameDev and its staff do what is legally required and either legally register the trademark, or remove the trademark notice from the page.)

The site URL was chosen for maximum impact, and ease of memorization. The site has been designed from the ground up to place well in search engines, and so that the information can be displayed in a very easy to use fashion, all 100% ad-free, with the exception of the Truevision3D banner on the side.

(Quote)
Presumably this will eventually result in an encyclopedic collection of game-dev-related links on various topics.

That is the overall goal of this system. With the high-specialized spider I have written we are able to collect only the best links, using a combination of human and automated processes. The user submitted resources will always show on top, with the "related resources" showing below, all in an easy to follow format that users can relate to.

(Quote)
looks like a cheesy attempt to capitalize on our GDNet.

This has absolutely nothing to do with GameDev, at all. This is an area of the web that indie devs have been lacking, a single consolidated resource site, that's easy to use, with no ads or popups, and no "filler". You click on the topic you're interested in, and you get a list of articles and sites related to that, plus information that the spider has found relevant.

(Quote)
besides, what's up with the Baby Name generator ?

It was a submitted resource. Many people need name-generators for RPG's and the like, so the resource fit.

(Quote)

Actually, the spider has already indexed over 500k pages in the last week alone, and it hasn't even touched GameDev yet. My category relevancy and theming are working perfectly, and the only content on GameDev that the spider will find useful will be the articles, as its been trained to skip forums because of their tendency to propagate useless and misleading information.

If one of the GameDev admins still feels we are violating their trademarks, feel free to contact me via my email and we can discuss it. Until then, feel free to submit your links to the site, as its growing every day in popularity.

John Hart
Project Manager
Truevision3D, LLC

This topic is 5299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.