New, and confused

Started by
5 comments, last by HughG 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi, im new to this site, and i would like to try to start building games as a hobbie. my problem is i have bought a few books, but the books are almost always about basic C++. Im just sick of flipping through a book, and half of it is about making for loops, or making a texted based tick tack toe game. i know the basics, i need somthing that will get me into graphics. Maybe help me build a 2D side scroller first. any suggestions on a good book? thanks
Advertisement
Start here! Try looking here on GameDev or Google for DirectDraw tutorials. I suggest starting out easy with graphics. Jumping right into 3D graphics is not a good thing so you should probably start out working with 2D graphics. Besides, you will gain a lot of knowledge that will aid you.

You might want to take a look at some of the book recommendations with the links I provided you. May I suggest "Windows Game Programming for Dummies". That’s a good starter book that will teach you some basic windows and DirectX programming.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
thanks for the response.

one question, is directdraw and direct3d the same?
Quote:Original post by whowasthat
thanks for the response.

one question, is directdraw and direct3d the same?

Unless I am mistaken, DirectDraw was the 2D API in pre-DirectX 8 times. It has since been superceded by Direct3D, 2D being treated as a 'special case' of 3D.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
What I'd suggest as a first step is trying to make something simple like Tetris with GDI. The reason is that GDI is so ridiculously simple to use, that you can get started on graphics without having to grapple with a million new issues. Once you start moving from text-based console apps to graphics, things quickly get complicated. So starting out with the simplest possible API makes good sense IMO. ;)

You don't really need a book for that. Try Google for a small tutorial. That should be all you need for GDI.
Pick up Data Structures for Game Programmers (GDNet Link). The example game throughout the book is a tile based 2d adventure game. Besides that you'll learn the much more important DS's and Algorithms used in game programming.
Try these Games. If you like them buy the book and he will show you how to make them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement