Effect Validation with SW-VP

Started by
3 comments, last by DrGUI 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi! I believe that using the FindNextValidTechnique function defines validation as running in hardware. If a gfx card does not support vertex shaders in hardware and you have a device created with mixed vertex processing, how would you get a technique using a vertex shader to validate? I wouldn't expect validation there because you have to explicitly set software vp with mixed vertex processing behavior. I have recently brought a 'new' graphics card (NV GeForce FX 5200) so I'm afraid I can't test this. The same for a device with software vp? Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
If you set software VP mode on a mixed device, then FindNextValidTechnique() will successfully validate a vertex shader technique on a card that doesn't do vertex shaders in hardware.

I'm using it in my current engine for cards like the GeForce 4MX or GeForce 2.
Thanks!

So the validation depends on whether sw vp is enabled when FindNextValidTechnique is called?
Yes.

It's my understanding that all of the validate calls work based on the current state settings. FindNextValidTechnique() just goes through the techniques and sets up the state and calls the necessary validate functions.

Thanks + rating 4 u

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement