Sign in to follow this  

question (help please)

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody! Today I downloaded a software package that you can use to create your own mmorpg games without knowing anything about , databases or programming. (so it claims) After downloading and installing it (took a long time) I read the manual and try it out and it really does seem to work. ( I had a couple friends login and play for a little while) The UIs are not so great and somewhat complicated but I got it to work. I was really excited and I am thinking about buying it, but it costs 150$! and thats alot of money for me. Has anybody here tried it before?(its called mmorpg-creator (www.mmorpg-creator.com)) Is it really worth it to spend 150$ on it and is there maybe another programm out there that does the same for less $? 150$ is really alot of money for me and I need to know if its really worth it before I spent that money.So please tell me if you know anything about this programm)

I would be very skeptical of this product, if it were only 20 bux Id say go for it. The FAQ doesnt mention anything about how many players can connect simultaneously. If what you really want to do is create your own world and have players login to it, then I would buy a used copy of Neverwinter Nights and create your own server. The player max is capped at 16 I think, but you can link that server to another server to allow for more connections. The editor is quite nice and the scripting engine is incredible. You can also add custom artwork to change the genre from fantasy to sci-fi or whatever else.

Thanks for the info!

I looked at the first page of their website and it says quote "maps and complete game worlds that can be enjoyed by dozens, hundreds or even thousands of players?"

But how do I know this is true? And what kind of connection speed do I need (or do I need a dedicated server?)?

They seem to have a game running that was made with the mmorpg-creator but I didn't see more than 70 people online.

Is there any way to test how many could play on one server?

I don't want to spend 150$ and then find out that only 20 or so can play.

thanks

Quote:
I looked at the first page of their website and it says quote "maps and complete game worlds that can be enjoyed by dozens, hundreds or even thousands of players?"

Simultaneously?

Ok so I went to that page to have a look for myself. At first I was kind of skepital, so I downloaded the free trial version. From what I've read on the forums and interpreted from the site - this is a legit deal, but you always have to be wrary of the fact that if they should happen to go out of business, then your $150 will be spent on something that will probabally never be updated again. The idea of this company is to make money - so if they do sell a lot - they will continue to upgrade and service their product - so them going out of business seems a little unlikely at the moment - but I'm no economist.

On their page they say:
Quote:

5. Can I charge my players money for playing the game I made and do I have to give you some of it?
You can charge your players money for your service and you do not have to give us any of it.

This seems kind of catchy...it says you can "charge your players for your servce" I would definitly contact them and ask them to say what you can and cannot do with a game you make, for it seems like you cannot "sell" the game per se.

Also - if Im not mistaken, their other site http://www.shadowworlds.de/, seems to be for a game they made using that program. Even though it is cost free - you can buy items at lucrative prices - some staff for 130$(US). That is just outrageous and makes me think a bit about that game... Anyways you can see how you could generate some additional revenue - by setting up a shop as they have done.

I also have to agree about the long download time and average install. I basically read all about everything twice whilest I waited. I saw that the last update was December 12th - about 34 days ago or so, so it is being updated - but I would definity wait for a 2005 update before making any commitment to this. Ok once I got it installed.

I took a look at the manual - it looked very nice and straight forward - definitly a plus. I did not follow it to make a map, but I took a look at the map editor. It looked pretty nice but there were a few quirks that made it slightly on the less professional edge. For example, when scrolling the map down I see the flickering of the tiles - I do not know if they used double buffering or not, but it is just a slight inconvience - but totally acceptable - I can't say I can do better so I'm not holding it against them ;).

It seems that they use some base game that you modify the files for to make your own custom game - so the end games you make will resemble the one they made to a certain degree. As for how their server will work on your own comp depends on the connection they say. If you want to host a real dedicated server, you must get your own - and then have it configured for the program. The costs of running a dedicated server are fairly high, so at first you may opt to choose to run off your PC.

Now this is where you have to make a decision. In one hand there is this one program that will make you a MMORPG. It seems like it will live up to everything it promised. It is certaininly nothing too complicated, they give you everything you need to make your own game. All they ask is $150. In the other hand you have everything else. I do not know of anything off the top of my head that can do what this program does specifically. I know about the different game makers and such - but they are generic and not specified for MMORPG games.

Here would be some pros and cons of buying this product (IMHO):

Pros:

* The hard part is done - you just modify the content and follow the steps to customize your game and you are there.

* It works! You saw the demo application in use as well as a game they presumabaly made with it.

* All of the networking seems to have been done already - that is a key in MMORPG's because if your game's networking arcticture is poor - then you will not hav a fun game.

* You do not need any other programming experience - that stuff takes time and effort, and if you do not have either of them, accompish your goals will be hard.

Cons:

* You are making a $150 investment that will yield probabally no return. Let's face it, can you honestly say that people will want to pay for some game such as this right off the bat? If you put yourself in other people's shoes, they like free! So this will be done not for profit - rather for fun.

* You still have to develop additional artwork for the game. The artwork already created looks good, but you want other stuff for you game right? Plus - I do not know what the terms are for using the provided images - once again I would ask them to make sure they cannot charge you for that work - for it is separate from the software.

* It's static. You have no control over how the internal things work - so you are limited to what you can do. There is no room for creativity - not even any scripts, so you will be getting what you pay for.

* There's no gaurntee how long this product will last - it seems like it has been worked on for quite some time now - but you never know. Things like this are so unpredictible.

Well that's about what I would have to say on this product. If you really just want to have a game that you customize from something already done, then this program is for you. 150 is a lot of money though - and you will probabally not make any of it back with products you make - but hey I'm no oracle, I could be very wrong - but realistically speaking - obtating the 150 back will be a challenge.

If you truly have your heart set on making a MMORPG, then you should buy it. If you do not want to go through learning the programming side of game design - then this is what you need. I would advise that you doo check for other programs that can do the same - but as i have said before - I've never seen any that do what this does.

I hope this helps you some! Let me know what you think about what I've said. Good luck in your decision!

- Drew

Thanks drew!

I just purchased it after receiving an Email from their support. They wrote me that its possible to have several hundred people online at the same time with a standard dedicated server. I can't afford to rent a dedicated server right now but maybe someday.

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.