need some advice

Started by
2 comments, last by aleksi1578 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi! I really need some advice on a software package I am thinking about buying and I am hoping that somebody here can tell me if its worth the money. I downloaded a software package today called the mmorpg-creator (www.mmorpg-creator.com)and got it to work after about an hour. Some of my friends logged in an we played on the included maps for a couple hours. So I am thinking about buying it, but it is alot of money for me (150$).Thats several months of my allowance. Could you tell me what you think of it and if it is worth the money please? Please also tell me if there is something similar I can buy to create a mmorpg myself without knowing programming languages. thanks
Advertisement
I wouldn't buy it. The FAQ does not mention how many players can connect to your server, and 150 dollars is pretty steep. It also looks like the tile editor is a freeware tile editor available for download. (Can't remember the name of it, but someone will probably post it for you.)

If you want to run a server and create some of your own content with little to no coding involved, I would go buy a used copy of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights.
They have an excellent map editing utility and scripting engine. You can add your artwork if you want to, and there are hundreds of community websites with free downloadable content/scripts.

The game itself will only run about 16 clients simultaneously before it slows down (on a typical home PC). But it allows you to link your server to another server and combine the worlds for a larger playing field.

It really is a good game and there are a lot of tutorials on the net, as well as a game masters book that you can buy.

You could probably get it for 15 dollars.

I just realized that you double posted, I thought that my original response never went through so I retyped all of this.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
www.mmorpg-creator.com seems like a very unprofessional website, leading me to believe that they're just looking to make a quick buck. I agree completely with bit64's comments.
If i remember right that item editor is from RPG maker 2000 or what was the name... :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement