Sign in to follow this  

Texture Mapping a Mesh

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know how to texture map a mesh created from scratch? I have a "blank mesh" that I create using D3DXCreateMeshFVF that I then fill with vertices and indices. I load a texture using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile, now how do I map it to the mesh? The mesh is essentially square as it it a terrain patch. If I set the texture coordinates to each of the 4 "corners" of the patch the mesh turns the color (of what I assume is) of the first pixel in my texture, which is how I know I'm at least loading in the texture. If I set the texture coordinates to 4 vertices that are neighbors, my texture just loads to that quad on my mesh, and the rest of my mesh is the color of the first pixel. I would like to know how to both stretch my texture over the entire mesh, as well as how to tile it.

Yeah, I tried that. Even when I map to one quad the texture is still warped. For example, here's my mesh:
Quote:

The numbers represent the index of the array to my vertex buffer. If I map:
Quote:
vert[0].u = 0;
vert[0].v = 0;
vert[1].u = 1;
vert[1].v = 0;
vert[3].u = 0;
vert[3].v = 1;
vert[4].u = 1;
vert[4].v = 1;

The texture I load from the file gets mapped to that quad, but it's all skewed, like the corners are forced to go in the wrong places, and if I map something like this:
Quote:
vert[0].u = 0;
vert[0].v = 0;
vert[2].u = 1;
vert[2].v = 0;
vert[6].u = 0;
vert[6].v = 1;
vert[8].u = 1;
vert[8].v = 1;

I just get a mesh the color of the first pixel in my texture. At the corners are a hint of detail, but it's skewed too.

OK, upon closer look, I think it's because my mesh is indexed. So how do I go about setting texture coordinates on an indexed mesh, especially if I want to tile? Since all the vertices share faces, putting even one texture coordinate in my mesh causes the texture to share up to 6 faces, causing the skewing I've been seeing. I've found a few scant articles on adding a second set of texture coordinates per vertex, but this can't be how to texture a mesh. I've also found a few articles on how this is the artist's job, but I need this in code. Can anyone help?

I don't know the code in my head, but here's the concept:

(-1,-1,0), (1,-1,0), (1,1,), (-1,1,0) // quad (X,Y,Z)

(0,0), (1,0), (1,1), (0,1) // UV coords for that quad (U,V)

From your examples it seems that you're not making one quad, but four quads.

If that's the case then these should be the correct coords:

Vertices:

UVs

vert[0].u = 0;
vert[0].v = 0;
vert[1].u = 0.5;
vert[1].v = 0;
vert[2].u = 1;
vert[2].v = 0;

vert[3].u = 0;
vert[3].v = 0.5;
vert[4].u = 0.5;
vert[4].v = 0.5;
vert[5].u = 1;
vert[5].v = 0.5;

vert[6].u = 0;
vert[6].v = 1;
vert[7].u = 0.5;
vert[7].v = 1;
vert[8].u = 1;
vert[8].v = 1;

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.