openGL or DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by garyfletcher 19 years, 3 months ago
Dear all Have been getting into game programming for the last couple of months now and am starting to towards more advanced areas such as 3-D type programming etc., after spending my initial learning on 2-D stuff, but I am unsure about what would be best to use initially the openGL or Direct3X API. Also, I have been looking at 3-D engines (Open source) and am unsure about which would be better. I am swayed towards Crystal Space but was wondering if any more experienced games developers had any thoughts. My longer term aim is to develop a 3-D racer, if this helps. Cheers Gary.
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.
Advertisement
Well, it depends!
There are many differences between Direct3D and OpenGL. OpenGL has the advantage that is multi-platform, but Direct3D is limited to WIN32 systems.

Well, what programming language do you want to use? Direct3D is object - oriented and fits good to the C++ programming language.

You are walking on dangerous gounds here.
There is no better SDK concerning Direct3D and OpenGL. There have been endless Topics on DirectX vs OpenGL and they all end in a flmaewar.
So best this topic is ended as soon as possible.

Three things I hope I can savely say that might help you:

1.) OpenGL is probably a bit easier to get into at first so you may consider learning that first. After you have a basic understanding of 3d programming Id suggest you look into DirectX as well and then see what suits you better(best you know both).

2.) If you are using c# I think it is still more standard o use DirectX.

3.) OpenGL is cross platform so if you want to programm for linux as well probably better to use OpenGL.

In the long run Id suggest knowing both and supporting both in your game but thats only in the long run on bigger projects.

-CProgrammer
OpenGL or DirectX?
ok, first change DirectX to Direct3D so you can compare between them.
Next, look.
both APIs are good and their speed is up to the graphic card.
So if you're targeting on Windows- you can decide what api to use by their syntax and resource.
Note that if you chose D3D and you want later to program for Linux too- you'll have to learn opengl and re-program your 3d engine.
By the way, I think windows engines should support both opengl and d3d, because many users will have opengl support better than the d3d one, and others not.
My favorite engines website is DevMaster.net (you can see that in their "Top Open-Source Engines" list, Crystal Space is in 2nd place and in the 1st place it is Ogre. 3rd is Irrlicht.)

pex.
pex.
I know both APIs about equally, maybe Direct3D a bit better. I started with OpenGL, and if you're having trouble starting, I'd suggest starting with OpenGL because it's fairly simple. I had trouble moving to Direct3D because the docs were so huge, it really is overwhelming at times. I never tried learning Direct3D from a book though, so who knows.

The ones who've already said this are right though, this is like gasoline for a flame war... Not a good idea at all. There have been a few articles here and there on this subject, but ultimately, it's a personal decision. Most good programmers know both if their platform is Windows.
Thanks for that guys

Have looked at the devmaster site and from what I have read the orge system isn't really for full scale development, I might be wrong about this but this is what I got from the site.

Have downloaded a free version of MAYA 6, would that do what I need...I am just accessing tools at the moment.

My longer aim is to get fairly competent using C# then switch over to C++. The OpenGL model does seem to fir with teh C++ route, but DIRECT3D shoudl also be in my armoury by the sounds of things.

Anyhow guys, thanx again for the input. An more suggestions are gratefully recieved.

Gary.
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement