Sign in to follow this  

mod programming question

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was recently asked to join a team for an HL2 multiplayer mod. This is the first time I've ever done a mod, and it seems like I'm going to be in charge of things as far as coding is concerned. What is the general approach I should take? For example, for my mod's rocket launcher, should I just modify the code for the HL2 RPG, or write totally new code for a new type of weapon? Kind of a weird question... I'm just not totally sure where to start.

Personally I prefer to keep changes to the existing SDK code to a minimum so when I have the choice between adding code and changing some existing code I normally choose to add new code. Doing it either way is fine however, though when Valve updates the code base if you have changes all over the place you may have a lot of work to do to integrate your changes with the newer codebase.

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.