Sign in to follow this  

The Cg Tutorial: Your opinion

This topic is 4718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this book, if they have any. I've been using other peoples shaders in my engine, just to get a small feel for cg, but I have no experience in writing them myself. I was thinking of getting this book to help me learn, especially as it said somewhere that it has a tutorial on cg bump mapping, which is the main thing I'm interested in (although many other pieces will be of interest to read.) So, you opinions please :D

azjerei: The Cg Tutorial :)

I'd say the book is pretty good if you're a beginner, as it explains covered topics (yes, bump mapping is covered) well.
The only big minus is the fact that book leaves you with shaders only - there is no source code how to actually use them, so there are many things you have to figure out yourself (see my thread about per pixel lighting problems for example - the book never mentions the problems that are likely to arise outside the shaders). I think that somewhere in not-so-distant future I might start a webpage with book shader examples, but accompanied with full source code...

I'd suggest reading a NeHe tutorial on Cg first (nehe.gamedev.net), which explains how to set up Cg shaders in OpenGL. Check www.shadertech.com as well, they have some stuff on Cg.
Nevertheless, I think the book is worth the money.

You can find more about the book here.
See some reviews on Amazon or here to get a better idea what people think about it.

It doesn't show you how to put the code into an engine? This is my biggest problem with learning about shader based bump mapping, I have about 10 different bump mapping shaders that I've found, but I don't know the first thing about the prerequisites in the code for them to work. I guess I'll get the book, and just hope it has a bit of a helping hand.. *mutter*

Quote:
Original post by Boruki
It doesn't show you how to put the code into an engine?

The CG Manual that comes with the cg toolkit does a pretty good job of describing that. Look in the "Using the CG Runtime Library" chapter.

This topic is 4718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.