Sign in to follow this  

WinProc() as a memeber function

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have made a class to handle the general things for a Win32 window, but I am having problems with making the WinProc() a method of the class. The only error I get if for this line of code: wndclass.lpfnWndProc = WinProc; The error is: error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'long (__stdcall OGLWindow::*)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)' to 'long (__stdcall *)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned i Is it possible to make the WinProc() a method or not?

Quote:
error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'long (__stdcall OGLWindow::*)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)' to 'long (__stdcall *)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned i

All member functions have an implicit first parameter, the 'this' pointer, because member functions act on objects. What you're doing here is giving the wndclass a pointer to a member function, which won't cut it. It needs a 'vanilla' function. This is possible by making the member function static, in which case there's no implicit 'this' pointer, but you can't access non-static class data from it either. i.e.

class OGLWindow
{
public:
static LRESULT window_procedure(HWND window, UINT message, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam);
};

One way I saw in a book to do this was to have a global WndProc, and a WndProc local to the class and public. After creating the window, set it's user data like so:

SetWindowLong( m_hWnd, GWL_USERDATA, (long) this );

This will set the window's "user data" to a pointer to the viewport class, from there you can call the WndProc local to the class and handle it there like this:

LRESULT MsgProc( HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam )
{
CViewport *pViewport = (CViewport *) GetWindowLong( hWnd, GWL_USERDATA );
return pViewport->MsgProc( hWnd, message, wParam, lParam );
}

When registering the window, use ::WndProc, not WndProc, it'll confuse the one you want with the one in the class and give you the same error.

the last parameter of CreateWindow can be used aswell:

// Create a window.
m_hwnd = CreateWindowEx(
0, // ExStyle
window_name, // Window class name
window_name, // Title
windowstyle, // Style
xpos, // X coordinate of window
ypos, // Y coordinate of window
windowrect.right + abs(windowrect.left), // Window Width
windowrect.bottom + abs(windowrect.top), // Window Height
0, // Parent window
0, // Menu
GetModuleHandle(NULL), // Instance handle
(void*)this); // Additional arguments

LRESULT CALLBACK window_proc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
static window_manager_t* window_manager = NULL;

switch(msg)
{
case WM_CREATE:
window_manager = (window_manager_t*)((LPCREATESTRUCT)lParam)->lpCreateParams;
break;

default:
return DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);
break;
}
return 0;
}

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.