The master MMORPG of all time

Started by
21 comments, last by RuneLancer 19 years, 2 months ago
I sure wouldn't want to go through school all over again, and i think it's way more boring when you're forced to do it for a bunch of years in a game than it was in real life.
And well, this seems really boring, actually. There's nothing you do in this game that you can't do in real life, and it's not even a simulator of real life.
I play games either to escape the real world for a while, or to get a nicely simulated experience, so why would I (or anyone else) want to play this?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tok_junior
I sure wouldn't want to go through school all over again, and i think it's way more boring when you're forced to do it for a bunch of years in a game than it was in real life.
And well, this seems really boring, actually. There's nothing you do in this game that you can't do in real life, and it's not even a simulator of real life.
I play games either to escape the real world for a while, or to get a nicely simulated experience, so why would I (or anyone else) want to play this?

I take it:
1. You have never seen the Matrix
2. You don't like the Matrix

-or-
3. You didn't see the comments about the Matrix in the description.

You can be a construction worker (which can modify the game)
-or-
You can be a programmer (which can minipulate any "real life" events.

Also to address the school 'gripe' if I may. You will be asked your age when you sign up. Sorry if this sounds like a flame. It's not and I had no idea this post could be so controversial. And like everyone before you has said I have a lot to learn before I could even produce anything like this. Thank you for your comment though. I am very glad everyone is making them. Constructive criticsm to me is the best way for me to form and improve my ideas. ^_^
Quote:Original post by Xtremehobo

Sorry about comming across as being on your bad side though -- Didn't mean it, and after being around Gamedev long enough, sometimes it's hard to tell when people are serious or just joking around :)

Thanks I appreciate that. As you can tell, I'm not joking or I wouldn't be pursuing every message I get. {wink}

Double Post (unless someone else has already beaten me to it)... my bad.
i agree with tok_junior... dont we play video games to escape realiity? [grin].
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
I've seen The Matrix, and i quite enjoy it.
Have you ever played a MUD long enough to become a "wizard"? The wizards are people who actually code their own parts of the game, so it's like your construction workers combined with your programmers. Now, you have to play the game a very long time to reach that position, and there's a reason for it; You need to know the gameworld well enough so you don't start adding stuff that would wreck the feel of the game, or simply do something really stupid.
Plus, being a wizard is very hard work, and definitely not a game, and well... When i play games, i wanna... Play games :)
And about the school again... Sure, you'll be asked your age. Do you seriously think anyone will enter '5' there, and have to live through school? What would they actually do in school for the bunch of realworld years they're there?

Don't get me wrong here, I don't think you're stupid for coming up with this idea or anything, most programmers has thought "Hey, wouldn't it be great to make a game that's just like the real world and you can do anything?", including me. BUT, we all come to the conclusion that it's not really a very good idea for different reasons :) One being the fact that you can't simulate a system that's as complex as the real world, you'll never be able to do everything, or even a small subset of it.

Once you've actually started working a little bit more seriously with this, I think you'll reach the same conclusion...
though you have a very good idea with the in-game programming aspect..
try a sci-fi text based game with that....
you could make the spell system DIY,using text commands to add elements or dmg or spcial fx,but at the cost of mana.........
and you have other good ideas to

anyway,i think a text based game would be good for you,because they are pretty easy,yet you can make them very complex.

good luck with whatever you do,
and other people,try not too crush his sprit,its a valuable tool :)

best wishes

btw,try gametutorials.com for some good information,google sdl,thats good after your good with c++ and you want to do graphics,i can give you some tutorials once you get there good luck,and have a happy happy day
----------------[attention] [bawling] [caution] [cool] [crying] [dead] [depressed] [disturbed] [embarrass] [evil] [flaming] [google] [grin] [headshake] [help] [ignore] [imwithstupid] [inlove] [lol] [looksaround] [oh] [pig] [razz] [repost] [rolleyes] [sad] [sick] [smile] [tears] [totally] [wink] [wow]
Quote:Original post by JTekNet
I think I have an a+ in imagination.

Problem is everyone have a+ in imagination (And those who don't, still think they do) ;)

Apart from this, there are a few problems with this.
1) A MMOG basically simulating real life, where you can do everything has been thought of by virtually everyone who ever even considered game development. Unfortunately it's a) impossible to run due to the nearly infinite processing required to make something like this, b) impossible to program for basically the same reason, and c) wouldn't be much fun to play. There's no backstory, no reason to play, no goal to strive for. There isn't actually a game. Just a complex simulation. The Matrix bit is a nice touch though, but again, what are you supposed to *do* in the game? Why play a lawyer? Why would anyone need a lawyer? Wouldn't this be more interesting (or at least pay better) to do in real life, rather than in your game?

And finally, MMOG's are insanely fiendishly difficult to make, so don't even think about making one unless you have at least 5 finished games under your belt already, have good funding and an experienced team.

Don't mean to come across too negative, but these are just the facts of life:
- Every newbie wants to make a MMOG
- None but the most determined and experienced are able to do so
- Games simulating real life don't offer much in the gameplay department. ;)
Uhh whats an "ordinary citizen?" I mean isnt a programmer or a lawyer and "ordinary citizen?"
Im confused. :/
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
You want to make a real life simulation, as this may sound increadibly interesting, the gameplay will be very uninteresting. Someone will start playing it, realize they have to go to elementary school; and either uninstall the game or cheat against the system. You might try the start-period right after school, in which case it's starting to sound something like MMORPG utropia (sp?). If you do decide to continues this, good luck; but i suggest some heavy modifications.

~zix~
---------------------------------------------------Game Programming Resources, Tutorials, and Multimedia | Free Skyboxes
Quote:Original post by Mercury
I know it sucks, but if you're an "F-" programmer and you're working alone, there is no way you're going to make that. You're going to have to either set realistic goals or maybe not do this as a hobby.

I'm inclined to agree with Mercury. However, I wouldn't be completely discouraged. A crappy golfer is unlikely to become the next Tiger Woods, but practice will improve anybody's game to some extent.

Similarly, programming draws on such a large range of mental abilities that it's impossible to believe that all programming effectiveness is based on some kind of innate talent. You can practice and get better -- every good programmer reads books, articles, and tutorials to expand his horizons. Experiencing a wide variety of programming paradigms is just as important as being particularly good at a handful of languages.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement