[web] MySQL

Started by
4 comments, last by Sander 19 years, 3 months ago
1portfolio has MySQL support. I would like to know how to get this up and running, in general that is. They must have the server-side software for it obviously. What might I need? Is there something like MS Access that I need to create and edit databases? Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Advertisement
Awesome. While everyone is answering that question, I have another.

How can I have my main page redirect to another page? In other words, if someone types in mysite.com, how can I have that automatically go to mysite.com/news.php or whatever? How does that work with index.htm, since that is the default main page the sever fetches (right?) But I don't want it to be called "index". Any help is welcome.

Thank you.
You need a client. I've only used mysql's native command line client, but I'm sure there are others.

You could do this with HTTP redirects, but is it really necessary? Anyway, php has functions to do this easily enough.
I use a combination of the command line and MySQL CC to administer my remote database.
I'm using 1Portfolio.... phpMyAdmin is already installed in 1Portfolio's CPanel. If you go into the control panel you'll see MySQL Databases or something like that. Click on that and at the bottom of that page you'll see a link for phpMyAdmin. Use it, it's really well done.

To redirect a link:
<?php    header("Location: http://www.YOURLINK.com/");    exit; // Code below doesn't get executed after redirection.?>

Put that into index.php .
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Khaos
They must have the server-side software for it obviously. What might I need? Is there something like MS Access that I need to create and edit databases?

If you are asking about how to set up something like this on a server you own then it's easy. Install MySQL from www.mysql.com. The interface is commandline only but there are various other interfaces available as said above.

About getting news.php as the basic page: If you have access to the httpd.conf file then you can add news.php to the front of the filelist in the DirectoryIndex directive. Alternatively, create a .htaccess file and enter this:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm news.php index.php

[Edited by - Sander on January 17, 2005 9:44:18 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement