• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jake_Ghost

winsock and redirecting

This topic is 5021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a dynamic ip and i dont no how to use winsock to connect to a redirector like no-ip.com. I have tried just typin the host name in the remosthost place but it doesnt work. and i have clicked on the ip and port in no-ip.com to test to make sure it was the rigth stuff and my server got the message. any help would be great thx jake

Advertisement
Then all you have to do is use winsock and a DNS lookup.. let's see you are jake.noip.com ... then you just connect to jake.noip.com and it does it for you... I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is how you do it. Others may be able to help better than I.

~zix~

welli have tried doing that.

stkClient.RemoteHost = "gneteast.servegame.com"
stkClient.RemotePort = "80"

i got that for setting the host but it doesnt work. I have tried entering no port changing it to commonly used ones, and the one my server monitors. But it doesnt work. When i try and connect with that i get connecting... the server offline (which is supposed to happen when i turn off my server). Then after it fails i usually tell it to connect again ( i tries and connects a couple times then tells the user it cant connect). But then it just says Connecting again for a long time. And never connects.

If you "telnet" to the same location, does that work?

C:\> telnet gneteast.servegame.com 80

If that doesn't actually connect, then the problem is in your DNS set-up, or the actual server response code; not in your connection code. Possibly, but not likely, in your firewall.

You can also try ping to that host from the command line, to see if it resolves at all.

i did all those things u said and they seemed to work. I was able to ping gneteast.servegame.com, and i think i connected using the telnet thing (when i typed it in it went to a blank screen til i typed soekthing then it went weird).
it could be soething todo with me tho. I am using vb for this and when i connect nothing happens on the server under the ConnectingRequest thing. Also at no-ip.com i can test to see if the redirect is working as well, and it does.

well when i try and connect to that site it doesnt work so good. Right after i connect the server state is 4 ( resolvinghost) i dont no wat that means. So after like 3 min its state goes to 7 which could be connected or outofmemory. I would asume that it is out of memory for some reason cause when i try and send some data it gives me and error. so i try adn close it and then it just crashes and i get an error.

VB, using the OCX, is simply
socket.remotehost="gneteast.servegame.com"
socket.remoteport=80
socket.connect

forgetting the connect call?? Or maybe a proxy? although I doubt it. If telnet can do it i doubt you would have a problem programming it. Using the TCP protocol, right? That's all I can think of, if your still having problems show us some more code.

~zix~

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!