Sign in to follow this  

Porting Directx to openGL

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know the whole directx versus opengl thing has been covered a million times. I have already chosen to go with directx. My question is, if I made my games as modular as possible, and only had the rendering core be directx, would it be fairly simple to port? Once I have a large amount of practice with directx, should I be able to pick up openGL fairly easily? Its more of a matter of me forcing myself to learn them concurrently, and at a very, very slow pace, or learning one much more quickly, then trying to learn the other once I feel I know the first...because I would like to atleast know how to make a 2d tile game in each, just for the sake of knowing. Alright, thanks for reading!

Most likely. What people don't often realize is that most parts of a game are independent of the graphics. For instance, collision detection and AI don't have much interaction with graphics.

Just make sure your familiar with both APIs.

Read this and then implement the DirectX part. If you know directX then learning openGL sshould be no problem because most your engine shouldnt be api calls anyways and
its the concepts that matter.

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.