Sign in to follow this  

Will Microsoft sue me if.............

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My math library somewhat resembles D3DXMath? You see I have a giant namespace and inside of are classes(P3DXMATRIX, P3DXVECTOR3, and P3DXQUATERNION) and as you could see their names are similar to those of D3DXMath. I suppose the similarity stops there since D3DXMath doesn't use a namespace and I have some functions that D3DXMath doesn't have...(ie: friend ostream& P3DXVECTOR3::operator<<(std::ostream& o, P3DXVECTOR3 CONST& p_vParam) ).

Quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
Did you copy any code from them?

If not, then no.

If yes, then maybe if they care about you.

Why would I copy code from them? Then it wouldn't really be my math library. It would just be a clone and I wouldn't learn anything.

btw,
P3DX = Pragmatist or Pragmatic[still deciding] X

Quote:
Original post by Khaosifix
Quote:

If not, then no.

Why would I copy code from them? Then it wouldn't really be my math library. It would just be a clone and I wouldn't learn anything.

btw,

Even if you had access to their code, I doubt you could copy all of it, seeing how it is tightly integrated, and super optimized. Directx is the one side of MS where there is no .NET style safety. Built for speed. Period.

Quote:
Quote:

If not, then no.

btw,

IMHO, it's more readable not to prefix names in this way. Especially when you can set up your namespace hierarchy as you wish to indicate ownership, for example you could do

namespace Pragmatic
{
namespace Maths
{
public class Vector3
{
}

public class Matrix
{
}

// etc.
}
}

Then the prefix is implied by the namespace naming, but the actual classes have simple easily understandable names.

On the point of capitalisation, generally usgin all caps makes things harder to read, for classes pascal case rules are usually applied. But, if you prefer all caps then it makes sense to use all caps.

Quote:
Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote:
Original post by smr
Quote:
Original post by leiavoia
All-caps typenames suck...

*boo*

*boo*s the *boo*

lol

My *boo* was less about whether or not all-cap typenames are good, but rather was in response to the nature of leiavoia's comment. It was neither helpful or on topic. Essentially he was telling the OP that his way sucks, and he (robinei) has a better way (IHNSHO).

There's nothing that can keep you from using similar namespaces as DirectX (if your library or game had to be completely original, then Id could sue just about every FPS maker on the planet). The only thing copyrights protect is the actually product (i.e. DirectX), and derivatives of that product (i.e. DirectX 10).

BTW, I vote Pragmatic.

Quote:
Original post by smr
lol

My *boo* was less about whether or not all-cap typenames are good, but rather was in response to the nature of leiavoia's comment. It was neither helpful or on topic. Essentially he was telling the OP that his way sucks, and he (robinei) has a better way (IHNSHO).

Maybe, but they still suck :-)

Quote:
.....Evidently we're split on whether or not all caps data types are bad or not.

I like to think of it more as: some of us are right, the others haven't been enlightened. :)

Yeah, I would leave the all-caps names for enumerations and defines. Actually it's kind of interesting to note that this way of naming is almost the exact opposite of the STL (all lowercase), as if Microsoft likes to be contrary.

Quote:
Original post by robinei
Yeah, all-caps names are nice as a kind of namespace for keeping preprocessor nastiness separate from the rest.

I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere. Everyone I've seen, including myself, uses inter-capped names, looks nice and goes with the style I'm using, I'll stick to it.

Quote:
Original post by Mercury
I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere. Everyone I've seen, including myself, uses inter-capped names, looks nice and goes with the style I'm using, I'll stick to it.

And yet, it's a commonly used coding standard.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Original post by Mercury

And yet, it's a commonly used coding standard.

..Really? What are some things that used it? I've never used boost, but I know STL and the standard c++ library are all lower-case. I must be living in a hole. [smile]

Edit: We're talking about actual namespaces here, not things like Id's old style, like SYS_Init(), right? I've seen that everywhere, but never all-caps namespaces.
Ah... reading that over I got the wrong idea heh. A ton of programs use that convention, including me a few times. Sorry.

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.