Sign in to follow this  

Pre-rendered "z-buffer" models

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of any such research or attempts at converting 3D models which use polygons and vertices into a sort of like elevation map/Z buffer type structure. So in essence, it's a picture of a 3D model with depth. My friend found some site but can't find it again. I am really interested in this even if it may be slow. I am thinking to write such a 3D engine. It might be the method of the future =P

I believe you're talking about voxels? (Volumetric pixels).
The BUILD engine (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior) had support for voxels.

The tombstones in that are voxels.

Ken Silverman, who wrote the BUILD engine, is working on something called Voxlap, a modern voxel-based engine. Download the demo and have a play!

Hey Nemmy, long time no see ^_^

Are there any attempts at a voxel engine that uses smoothing of some sorts as to prevent jageddy edges? Or any theories?

I think voxels are the way to go because atoms make up the real world.
In essence, voxels make up the 3D world. Only problem with voxels is that they aren't small enough.

You can make the grid as small as you want, it just takes more memory. That's the main problem I see with voxels: the sheer amount of memory it requires. With the available memory in regualr PC's continuing to go up and up, that'll be less of a problem in the future, but I wouldn't be looking at it seriously in a practical sence for awhile yet. In terms of the theoretical, there are quite a few voxel engines floating around out there. I've tried at least two from these forums that various people have put together. I'd suggest doing a search and seeing what you can dig up. I don't have any perticular names to offer you, as this isn't an area I've looked that much into personally.

Quote:
Original post by SANiKnova
Hey Nemmy, long time no see ^_^

Are there any attempts at a voxel engine that uses smoothing of some sorts as to prevent jageddy edges? Or any theories?

I think voxels are the way to go because atoms make up the real world.
In essence, voxels make up the 3D world. Only problem with voxels is that they aren't small enough.

Dmytry is the voxel man around here (waits patiently for him to creep out of the woodwork to add his words of wisdom)...

The problem with voxels is that they aren't directly hardware accelerated - so to do anything with them you really have to write very efficient (and probably very complex) code. Smoothing probably takes up a huge amount of processing power.

Yeah, hardware acceleration is what's needed.
Hmm, best idea would be to find a machine with 2 CPUs and have 1 CPU act as the "Voxel card."

Another idea would be to use textures in OPEN_GL with smoothing enabled, but that may be slow.

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.