Installing both DX SDK 9.0c and 9.0c (dec)?

Started by
8 comments, last by DBX 19 years, 3 months ago
I'm wondering if it's possible to install both DirectX SDK 9.0c and the december edition on the same computer without it causing problems? The reason is that I'm already working with the original 9.0c version today with VC++ 6. Now I want to start using the december edition (with Visual Studio .NET of course) at the same time, but without interfering with the first one. Is this possible?
Advertisement
When installing Visual Studio .NET (2002 or 2003), you will still be able to produce unmanaged win32 applications. That means, you don't need to develop .NET applications in Visual Studio .NET if you don't want to. Visual Studio .NET includes C++ 7.0 or 7.1 for Win32, and you may countinue working with DXSDK 2004 december on the same way as you did with VC6.0, but you will get a new and better IDE.

So there is no need to continue working with Visual Studio 6 or some older versions of directx.
Yes, I understand that Visual Studio .NET contains a new VC, I should have wrote that. The question was really about if I could install both versions of the DirectX 9.0c SDK mentioned above, without them interfering with each other.
Quote:Original post by Decept
Yes, I understand that Visual Studio .NET contains a new VC, I should have wrote that. The question was really about if I could install both versions of the DirectX 9.0c SDK mentioned above, without them interfering with each other.

It isn't 'officially' supported - maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. I currently have 3 SDKs installed, IIRC: DX8.1 SDK, DX9 SDK, and DX9 Summer update. I'll try the October and December ones soon, too [grin]

Personally I'm not sure, maybe you can't because they register with the system, I would have said to install them in separate directorys or something? But really I don't think so. I'm pretty certain its agood idea to have only one installed. I have vc 6 as well, and vc2005 beta, and I'm not going above dx october 2004 release, this way I can still use both compilers, I'll probasbly stay that way until vc2005 is released properly then I won't need vc6 any more.
Just go to the October 2005 dx release, if you still want to keep the use of vc6, but not more than 1 of them.
oops - yes Coder must be right
(we must have posted at the same time).
By the way, one thing you could do to avoid problems: Copy everything you need from the old SDKs somewhere (docs + sample source + headers and libs) and then uninstall the old SDK. You'll be able to still develop with it if you point your compiler to the right header and lib paths.

I don't see how it is possible since all the DLLs in the system directory for each SDK have the same name. Therefore, when you install another version the previous version's DLLs will get overwritten.
-dizzyGame Institute InternPlease rate me. :)
Does it really matter that the dlls are overwritten? Shouldn't it work anyway as long as it's the newest dlls that are in the system?
No, as long as you keep your libs and headers seperate, any SDK version app should always work with the latest runtime. Like Coder, I've got several SDK versions installed, all work fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement