Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft Visual C++ 2003

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a newb progammer and I have been around the forums and read that C++ is a good language to start programming. I just downloaded the MS Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and I am not really that sure how to use it because it doesnt really say anything about it in the readme. 2 questioms....how do i compile my code with this? and Is this a good compiler to use in the first place?

The compiler you downloaded is an excellent compiler but needs to be invoked from the command line and has a vast array of switches/options specfying how to compile your code. To make life easier I recommend you get yourself an IDE which will takw care of the nitty-gritty details like compiler switches for you, a good one which is free is Dev-C++.

The toolkit you downloaded comes from Visual Studio which is a lot more powerful than Dev-C++, if you decide to start programming seriously then a copy of VS 2003 Professional (academic license) can be quite cheap. If your not a student then the Standard Edition is only aroung £70 or 100 USD

Quote:
I recommend you get yourself an IDE which will takw care of the nitty-gritty details

I second what Spudder says... especially if you're new to programming (and/or C++) dealing with the command-line compiler is probably something you can do without initially. Especially given there are a variety of free tools that'll handle it for you.

Just to throw into the mix, Eclipse and it's C Development Tools are another reasonable option for a free set of tools to get you going.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.