Sign in to follow this  

Multiplayer 2D Tactical Shooter alpha download

This topic is 4709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings. I have uploaded a recent build of the project I am currently working on. 2DTS (temporary name) is a 2D multiplayer tactical shooter that can be described as something somewhere between the well-known games Soldat and Continuum. The game world is viewed from an overhead perspective. Gamplay is team-orientated and the focus is aimed at team coordination and strategy. Play modes will be objective based and include the likes of Capture the Flag and Infiltration, among others. Screenshots: Thus far the game is quite playable (against CPU-controlled bots). There is as of yet no objectives, no flags to capture – but it can be fun to merely patrol around the map waging war. The lack of objectives means that there isn’t much use for tactics at this stage. Even so, one will find their efforts much more successful if they outflank their enemies or ambush them from behind. The alpha version can be downloaded here. (846 kb). Please consider taking a look – any feedback is much appreciated. Controls are: W,S,A and D to move Mouse X axis to aim and steer character F to change weapon R to reload ` to expand and compress chat console Enter to open chat input Thanks, Jackson Allan

hey lookin good!
those explosions look pretty cool. i got my butt kicked by the CP though! very nice AI and very nice line of sight stuff happening :)
keep up the good work - cant wait to see it with mission and objectives :)
later

Looks just like the evolution demo shurcool had a few months ago.

Looks great though, and reminds me of Cyberdogs and Crimsonland.

BTW, it's very dizzying when played at 3:30 AM...

Absolutely brilliant!
1 thing though: if you don't want people feeling sick after playing this game you should add some more fixed anchors on the screen. I'm not feeling very good right now, and I've never felt dizzy after playing any shooter.. :)

Thanks for the positive comments!

Quote:
BTW, it's very dizzying when played at 3:30 AM...

Regarding the dizziness – after playing for a short time *this feeling will go away*. It is caused because the player is not centred in the middle of the screen, meaning that the world seems to swing back and fourth when you rotate. It takes a short while to for one’s eye to get used to the uneven rotation. I know because I was initially concerned about this until I realised the sensation was very temporary.

Quote:
Looks just like the evolution demo shurcool had a few months ago.

Uh-oh. That’s probably because I borrowed the overhead viewing concept from an early demo posted several years ago (2001 if I’m not mistaken) in a thread about physics. I’ve wanted to make a strategic 2D shooter for a long while. The poster, who I assume was Shurcool, specifically stated that they were not continuing work on the project, and I thought 'What a great way to present the game'. I’d dig up the thread but I’m afraid the search is still offline :(. (I hope this doesn’t backfire at me.)

Anyhow, thanks for testing,
Jackson Allan

Really nice !
I really like the visual field and the shadowing concept... you never know whats behind the corner ^_^
Also the bouncing bullets are awesome. I tried some tactics on curvy walls and its kills a lot :D !
Awesome game, awesome work. Can't wait to try multiplayer !

Nice game, the interface is well designed and quite beautiful, but you shouldn't shadow (hide) the explosions. And please, allow those of us who don't have an english keyboard to change the WSAD default keys... it's a pain trying to move with ZQSD ! Keep up the good work !

Very cool game. I like the simple GUI graphics.

It would be cool if you could throw the granade with right click, without having to switch to it. It would make for faster action :)

Very nice. It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well. This could easily be justified because, in real life, they can yell out enemy positions to you. The baddies seem to be a lot smarter than your teammates.

Quote:
from the Screenshots it looks a lot like Garage Games ZAP!

I’ve just downloaded the ZAP demo and can happily say that the games are quite dissimilar.

[quote] Nice game, the interface is well designed and quite beautiful, but you shouldn't shadow (hide) the explosions. And please, allow those of us who don't have an english keyboard to change the WSAD default keys... it's a pain trying to move with ZQSD !/[quote]
Particles in general are masked by the LOS. It would therefore be very difficult to not mask the explosions without having the same effect on decals, empty bullet shells etc.
The keys will be configurable in future.

Quote:
It would be cool if you could throw the granade with right click, without having to switch to it.

I have something planned for right click (secondary fire – sniper sight etc). However, the E key is free and I may use for throwing grenades (as well as what is seen in this version).

Quote:
It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well.

The way in which I mask hidden areas unfortunately does not allow me to do this. I basically render what an origin point (typically the player) can NOT see into a mask that I then use the ‘shadow’ out the game world. If I had two or more origin points the system would fail because one origin will almost always not see what another origin does. If worked in reverse and rendered what players can see into the mask the CPU pressure would be many times more intense (and I can’t think of how to do it anyhow).
One alternative that occurred to me is that a player’s team-mates might always be visible.

Quote:
The baddies seem to be a lot smarter than your teammates.

That’s odd – all bots use the same AI. The AI is stored externally as a DLL. Programmers can produce their own AI using the AI SDK (not included with the download). At this stage, however, system is too slow and I shall have to rework / completely recode it in the immediate future.

Quote:
i got my butt kicked by the CP though! very nice AI

Naturally I do not find the AI particularly difficult as I have been testing the game throughout the development process. The trick is that when you are fired upon you need to find cover right away. Then it is a matter of ducking out and taking shots or flanking the enemy bots. One will find that if they merely barge forward shooting they will die often.
The current AI, however, is just a basic placeholder in for the sake of testing. The bots walk randomly avoiding walls etc. There is some basic combat strategy but nothing to write home about. I do intend on drastically improving the AI in a way that will give the game more depth.

Jackson Allan

Quote:
Original post by jack_1313

Quote:
It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well.

The way in which I mask hidden areas unfortunately does not allow me to do this. I basically render what an origin point (typically the player) can NOT see into a mask that I then use the ‘shadow’ out the game world. If I had two or more origin points the system would fail because one origin will almost always not see what another origin does. If worked in reverse and rendered what players can see into the mask the CPU pressure would be many times more intense (and I can’t think of how to do it anyhow).
One alternative that occurred to me is that a player’s team-mates might always be visible.

How are you storing the mask?

I render the hidden areas as fully transparent primitives just above the sprite plane. I can then switch the z buffer on and off to turn on/off the masking before rendering game entities (on: players, projectiles and particles, off: game map, interface). I illuminate the view by rendering a full-screen additive blended quad with the z buffer turned on.

Jackson Allan

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
im quite interested in how you handle the LOS in multiplayer..

I have part of the networking code out of the way but I have not actually applied it to the game yet.
I don’t see any issues regarding the LOS in a multiplayer game. The LOS will be completely client side – the server need never know anything of it. Each client will simply calculate the LOS mask for its player and apply it when rendering.

Quote:
or, is it totally hackable? im not sure how you could get around it really, without having people "pop in".

I’m not really sure what you mean :S. There is the possibility that someone will be able to intercept update messages from the server and then use an external program to overlay nearby enemies onto the screen in windowed mode. However, if someone was going to cheat they might just try something more daring. The best I can do is encode my data and check for validity before processing.

Jackson Allan

Sign in to follow this