Multiplayer 2D Tactical Shooter alpha download

Started by
16 comments, last by jacksaccountongamedev 19 years, 3 months ago
the screens and the download dont work for me.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
ok, it works now.

all i can say is, wow, great work dude, very very impressive.
Very nice. It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well. This could easily be justified because, in real life, they can yell out enemy positions to you. The baddies seem to be a lot smarter than your teammates.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Quote: from the Screenshots it looks a lot like Garage Games ZAP!

I’ve just downloaded the ZAP demo and can happily say that the games are quite dissimilar.

Nice game, the interface is well designed and quite beautiful, but you shouldn't shadow (hide) the explosions. And please, allow those of us who don't have an english keyboard to change the WSAD default keys... it's a pain trying to move with ZQSD !/

Particles in general are masked by the LOS. It would therefore be very difficult to not mask the explosions without having the same effect on decals, empty bullet shells etc.
The keys will be configurable in future.

Quote:It would be cool if you could throw the granade with right click, without having to switch to it.

I have something planned for right click (secondary fire – sniper sight etc). However, the E key is free and I may use for throwing grenades (as well as what is seen in this version).

Quote: It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well.

The way in which I mask hidden areas unfortunately does not allow me to do this. I basically render what an origin point (typically the player) can NOT see into a mask that I then use the ‘shadow’ out the game world. If I had two or more origin points the system would fail because one origin will almost always not see what another origin does. If worked in reverse and rendered what players can see into the mask the CPU pressure would be many times more intense (and I can’t think of how to do it anyhow).
One alternative that occurred to me is that a player’s team-mates might always be visible.

Quote:The baddies seem to be a lot smarter than your teammates.

That’s odd – all bots use the same AI. The AI is stored externally as a DLL. Programmers can produce their own AI using the AI SDK (not included with the download). At this stage, however, system is too slow and I shall have to rework / completely recode it in the immediate future.

Quote: i got my butt kicked by the CP though! very nice AI

Naturally I do not find the AI particularly difficult as I have been testing the game throughout the development process. The trick is that when you are fired upon you need to find cover right away. Then it is a matter of ducking out and taking shots or flanking the enemy bots. One will find that if they merely barge forward shooting they will die often.
The current AI, however, is just a basic placeholder in for the sake of testing. The bots walk randomly avoiding walls etc. There is some basic combat strategy but nothing to write home about. I do intend on drastically improving the AI in a way that will give the game more depth.

Jackson Allan
Quote:Original post by jack_1313

Quote: It would be nice if you could see within the viewing range of your teammates as well.

The way in which I mask hidden areas unfortunately does not allow me to do this. I basically render what an origin point (typically the player) can NOT see into a mask that I then use the ‘shadow’ out the game world. If I had two or more origin points the system would fail because one origin will almost always not see what another origin does. If worked in reverse and rendered what players can see into the mask the CPU pressure would be many times more intense (and I can’t think of how to do it anyhow).
One alternative that occurred to me is that a player’s team-mates might always be visible.

How are you storing the mask?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
I render the hidden areas as fully transparent primitives just above the sprite plane. I can then switch the z buffer on and off to turn on/off the masking before rendering game entities (on: players, projectiles and particles, off: game map, interface). I illuminate the view by rendering a full-screen additive blended quad with the z buffer turned on.

Jackson Allan
im quite interested in how you handle the LOS in multiplayer.. or, is it totally hackable? im not sure how you could get around it really, without having people "pop in".
Quote:Original post by graveyard filla
im quite interested in how you handle the LOS in multiplayer..

I have part of the networking code out of the way but I have not actually applied it to the game yet.
I don’t see any issues regarding the LOS in a multiplayer game. The LOS will be completely client side – the server need never know anything of it. Each client will simply calculate the LOS mask for its player and apply it when rendering.

Quote:or, is it totally hackable? im not sure how you could get around it really, without having people "pop in".

I’m not really sure what you mean :S. There is the possibility that someone will be able to intercept update messages from the server and then use an external program to overlay nearby enemies onto the screen in windowed mode. However, if someone was going to cheat they might just try something more daring. The best I can do is encode my data and check for validity before processing.

Jackson Allan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement