Sign in to follow this  

having trouble getting started with lua

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

just started with lua today, trying to get a very basic program to work with c++. im using visual c++ NET, and got the lua 4.0 headers, libs and DLL's from http://tonyandpaige.com/tutorials/lua-4.0.1-win32.zip i followed the instructions they gave for setting up lua: http://tonyandpaige.com/tutorials/lua1.html and i also used the example program on that page. the program compiles correctly, but when i goto run it, it comes up with the error: "The procedure entry point lua_baselibopen could not be located in the dynamic link library lua+lib.dll" i have no idea how to fix this, is it just that the website has an error or is there something ive done wrong?

I strongly recommend to use the latest stable version from the official Lua-site, which is 5.0.2. The language has improved a lot since 4.0.
For learning Lua I recommend "Programming in Lua" by Roberto Ierusalimschy, it can be read on-line. Or buy it, if you want to get seriously into Lua, I did it and it is definitely worth it's money.

I believe, like the poster above me, that you have downloaded an outdated version of Lua (4); one that does not have the appropriate functions in the lualib.dll file. Even though there were other functions in Lua 4 that did what lua_baselibopen did, you really should upgrade - most of the resources I've found are for Lua 5.

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.