Sign in to follow this  

How to work with depth in XYZRHW orthogonal mode!?

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I have a 2d interface in Direct3d which basically represents an animated keyboard. The user clicks on a key and an AVI file plays a small clip of the key moving into the screen and back out again using DirectShow. However with almost 30 keys on screen the memory requirement is proving too much (there are all 128x128 in 32 ARBG at 3-4 seconds long, 24 fps). Therefore I had the thought that I could use a static texture and simply move it slowly in and then out of the screen. I have played around with the z and rhw value of the vertices a bit but nothing! Is it actually possible to make a set of vertices move into the screen and out again when in orthogonal mode? Thanks in advance for any help guys. Kind regards. Mark Coleman

Couldn't you just make this an animated sprite? Create a single key's animation, in 3ds Max or something, then render to a series of textures. Then, consolidate all the textures to one sheet. To save memory, you can make the sprite animation not have any letters/numbers on it, and then super-impose each character during rendering.

Hmm it's a possibility, but it sounds a bit drastic right now. However I will look into it. Is there any API support for this type of thing or would I be left to my own devices on this one?

Wouldn't it be much simpler just to move a textured quad in and out of the screen though? Or are you implying that this is not possible.

Thanks.

Mark Coleman

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.