Sign in to follow this  

C# Game Programming

This topic is 4714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have asked this in a couple of other forums, but I never really got a decent reply. So I figure here is the best place... my question is: Is C# good (as in efficient/performance wise) for game programming. I really want to to move to the new language and I was thinking about buying a DirectX starters book for .net, but I really need to know if it's worth it before I go and blow £30/40 on a book. I come from C/C++ which I don't have any problems with, but C# seems so much more elegant and cuts developement time greatly. I am just worried about whether it's the right thing to do for the future... what are your thoughts? All input appreciated, Tom

I don't expect that C# will usurp C++ any time soon, but if you're considering doing it I would definately recommend you follow through. Having an understanding of C# is going to really help you out in the long run. It is a lot cleaner than C++ and the development time is significantly shorter. Plus, performance loss is not really significant (I generally say around 5% slower, some will say more, some will say less). Regardless, it's a useful language and 40 bucks for a book is well worth the price to learn it.

I'm developing in C# and Managed DirectX now and loving it. Since I'm still doing 2D action and RPG games, any performance loss vs. C++ is not noticeable at all. If you're wanting to build your own UT 3D engine, then C# may seem a little slower. However, most of us hobbyist are not going to be building an engine of that size and power, so C# becomes a very attactove development language as it is a more productive language (time wise) than C++.

BTW Tom Miller's Managed DirectX Kickstart is a pretty goodbook. As is Albatos(sp) or Hatton's Beginning.NET Game Programming (Albatos did VB.NET version, Hatton did C# version). Tom Miller also just relased a 3D Game Programming using Managed Direct X (and C#). Can't really say if it's good or not, beacause I just ordered it, but I expect it to be very useful. Tom Miller is the Microsoft Development Manager for DirectX.

Dave

I think learning how to architect a game engine is far more important than the language you choose to write it in. A well written C# engine can be a lot faster than a poorly written C++ engine.

I don't think that switching between the two languages, if the need arose, would be that big of a deal.

Excellent replies, thanks! :)

Quote:
BTW Tom Miller's Managed DirectX Kickstart is a pretty goodbook.

I think I will be getting this pretty shortly anyway.

Thanks for the great advice people, and if anyone still has some usefull advice/info up their sleeves, please post.

Tom

I would also look at the second, the first is a good referance, but the second will take you through building 2 complete games and help with a third.

I have found that using the two books together can help heaps!

This topic is 4714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.