Calculating String Dimensions in WindowsGDI (SOLVED, due to retardation)

Started by
2 comments, last by deadimp 19 years, 3 months ago
I'm having a problem with my 'string_width' and 'string_height' function. They are functions that utilize WindowsGDI to caclulate a strings width and height, and for some reason it measures the string in the default font. I can change the font of the HDC when I draw it, but nothing is affected in the output of either of these functions. Here's the code:
int string_width(string &strSrc) {
 SIZE curSize;
 GetTextExtentPoint32(hdc,strSrc.c_str(),strSrc.length(),&curSize);
 return curSize.cx;
}

int string_height(string &strSrc) {
 //Does not support multi-line yet.
 SIZE curSize;
 GetTextExtentPoint32(hdc,strSrc.c_str(),strSrc.length(),&curSize);
 return curSize.cy;
}
[Edited by - deadimp on January 17, 2005 9:02:39 PM]
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire
Advertisement
I think this answers your question : GetCharWidth32. I use it in my GraphicsManager like follows:

int SingletonGraphicsManager::GetStringWidth(const char* fmt, ...) const{	char text[256];	va_list ap;	if(fmt==NULL)		return 0;	va_start(ap, fmt);	vsprintf(text, fmt, ap);	va_end(ap);	HDC hdc = boost::any_cast<HDC>(SettingsManager::Instance().GetSetting("theHDC"));	int totalLeng = 0;	int incLeng = 0;	unsigned int charpos = 0;	while(charpos < strlen(fmt))	{		GetCharWidth32(hdc, fmt[charpos], fmt[charpos], &incLeng);		totalLeng += incLeng;		charpos++;	}	return totalLeng;}

HTH,
Jim.
Does it take character spacing into account?
And height... Would that just be the font size?
Good gosh I feel incredulously retarded.
Ends up that I *wasn't* setting up the font, and that led to the 'mysterious' error.
I have two functions: 'font_setup' and 'font_cleanup', which update and cleanup the fonts according to simple global variables. I execute each of these per drawing function that deals with text. Ends up I wasn't putting them inside of those functions, thus throwing the output off. Oops.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement