Sign in to follow this  

Debug with November 2004 Release ?

This topic is 4718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, When I used to install DirectX it asked what version, Debug or Retail, I always selected Debug. I just installed the November 2004 version and it didn't ask that. Now I can't debug. I get the error for the 'new' operator. Do I need to install the 'Extras' ? Is that what the symbol files are for ? I'm using VC++ 6 (SP5). Thanks. PS - I don't want to step through code, I just want to see if I have any memory leaks and stuff like that.

You can now switch between debug and release via the DirectX control in control panel. Note also though, unline previous SDK releases, that to get full debug info you need to define D3D_DEBUG_INFO, best put it in your preprocessor definitions for your game's debug build.

There is a further problem though and that is that VC6 support for the November release is limited and in fact is completely gone in the latest December release. To get it to work with the November version make sure you link with the d3dx lib file in the extras folder.

Your problem with the new operator will probably be due to do with the platform SDK. Get the latest version from Microsoft. Hope this helps - the longer term solution is to switch to .net :)

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I have the December 2004 version (not November, that was a mistake.) I just read the sticky that it doesn't work with VC6 but it seems to work alright for me, but I'm only using DirectDraw and DirectInput.

I have the February 2003 Platform SDK and my regular Windows programs work fine in Debug mode.

Man, I just formatted my hard drive and got all excited when I saw the latest DirectX, it sucks that it won't work right with VC6. I guess I'll stick with it since it's alright for now, then either revert back to October 2004 or get VC.NET, probably the later.

Take care.

Quote:
Original post by EndemoniadaDirectX, it sucks that it won't work right with VC6. I guess I'll stick with it since it's alright for now, then either revert back to October 2004 or get VC.NET, probably the later.

If you have VC6, but want to use the latest addition of DirectX, I believe that you can use the VC++ Toolkit (http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/). I believe there's a command line option that lets you specify the compiler, and you would just use the VC++ Toolkit - its the same one as in the Pro version of .NET Studio 2K3. I honestly haven't tried it myself, but many people says it works.

This topic is 4718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.