Animating in maya, or rendering an animation?

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
How can I render an animation I have done in maya? Also how do I tell the animation to render different camera angles at different stages of the animation?
www.jiblife.info
Advertisement
I think Windows>Playblast.... is what you are looking for. It makes a video of it.
Hi,

Playblasting is only used for a quick preview of your animation, shortcut for it is alt+enter i believe. In theory you should read though the help files that come with Maya. They would tell you exactly what you need to know.

To render a scene you need to get into Render Globals section where you define which camera to use for the rendering of the scene.

I personally never worked with multiple cameras so I don't know how the switching would work. One thing that comes to mind is you render each camera time separately and then cut it together in some video editing app to get the right footage you want. But I think this is the wrong way around it. As far as I understand Maya has it's own editing capabilities and you also have mel scripting which allows you to do just about anything in that app. I mean it has it's own physhics engine built in for crying out load.

Anyway it's late and I need a nap.

Hope this helps
You can change the camera that you use to render in Render Global Settings. It's in the render menu when you select rendering in the combo box in the upper left. There is no easy way to change the camera in the middle of the scene, the best way is to render multiple movies and then put the movies together. There is a free program that can do this called virtualdub, available at virtualdub.org. If you're looking for a program that can also add sound effects and do transitions, you can try adobe premiere, but it's kind of expensive.
Actually, Render GLobals is located in Window->Rendering Editors->Render Globals. Guess I should have looked first. Render->Batch Render is what you use to save the movie after configuring the settings.
If you can't work out how to render something out of maya I'd suggest you switch to a different program. I'm not suggesting you pirated it... just that if for some reason you're unable to access the INCREDIBLY DETAILED AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND docs that come with it, you may want to consider a program with a more intuitive (read "render this" button)...

But if I'm going to say something like that I need to post some constructive advice too. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. To render an animation in maya all you need to do is access your render globals and give it a range. For example, frame 0 - 100. This will give you either a 100 frame animation or 100 image files, assuming you name them correctly. Someone else already told you where the globals are.

2. Urgh.. that's a terrible question. Maya is a 3D app, not a video editor. You should render 2 seperate sequences and edit them together in premiere or whatever. But if you insist on doing it in maya, here's how you'd go about it, Assuming your scene has 200 frames and you want to jump to camera 2 at frame 100.

Tell your render globals to render camera1 (probably persp) from frame 0 - 99. Save the scene. Tell your globals to render camera2 (persp2) from frame 100 - 200. Save with a different name. Create a batch file that renders both scenes. Quit maya, run the batch file. Open your sequence in fcheck.

Assuming you didn't change the filename, you'll have 1 long animation with a camera jump at frame 100. Ugly huh?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement