environment crit

Started by
6 comments, last by Leto 19 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I'm looking for a critique of an indoor environment I am working on. Advice or comments on models, textures and lighting are all welcome. Thanks! Leto

Advertisement
Looks very professional. The first shot looks like an abstract pic of nothing as the red background and random curves don't provide hints for what the observer is looking at. I think that part needs a little work. Other than that, awesome job!
looks good to me
Nice! Only a few nitpicks. That red texture is kind of odd - what were you going for here? Is it supposed to have depth or be emtting heat or...? Pic 3, those blue lights are a little too intense, they hurt my eyes. Pic 6, the green counter with the controls seems a lot more dirty and damaged than the rest of the environment, maybe something smoother.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Nice! Only a few nitpicks. That red texture is kind of odd - what were you going for here? Is it supposed to have depth or be emtting heat or...? Pic 3, those blue lights are a little too intense, they hurt my eyes. Pic 6, the green counter with the controls seems a lot more dirty and damaged than the rest of the environment, maybe something smoother.

thank you to everyone who has commented so far, it is much appreciated! everything you said is helpful. as for the red light.. yes, i now see how it is a problem. the red light is supposed to highlight the reactor which is behind the glass barrier. i thought that the red would make it seem volatile or like a 'secure zone'. and color-theory wise i thought that the red would make a nice contrast to the rest of the dominantly cool colors throughout the room, thereby drawing the player's eye to what would be a key element of the scene.

of course, this is just for my demo reel so my reasoning isn't a good excuse if it isn't easily infered by the viewer.

and yes sundandshadow you are correct about the bright blue light in #3 and the dirt in #6. thank you for catching those.

anybody else?

Leto
Glad to help! :)

I think red is a good color choice because it does seem volatile, Theproblem is more that it's hard to see the glass or make out the outline of the reatcor. I think the real problem is that the glass texture is wrong, it's splotchy where it should have something like white diagonal gleams so you can tell it's there and smooth. Might also help if you made the red less shiny, and moved your light source or used multiple light sources so the shadows made the reactor's structure more clear. Or make the square framework and the round tube bits different colors.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I really like it!

My advice would be that since everything seems to be dark and somewhat industrial tech, that your floor be less shiny. A reflective surface (while impressive) doesn't seem to fit with the surroundings, which have been designed to show flaws, dirt, wear and such. I'd suggest a flat metal or stone texture, maybe with some panel or debris decals every now and then to break up the surface. At the moment it's as though they've got somebody coming in at night to polish it ;).
Quote:Original post by Cosmic One
At the moment it's as though they've got somebody coming in at night to polish it ;).

LOL.. i see your point. thanks for the tip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement