Sign in to follow this  

Drawing beyond far clipping plane...

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would I draw any object weither it be a poly or a point beyond the far clipping plane without flickering? Ive tried disabling z-buffer with glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) but it will draw the object in front of other objects which I do not want...I have also tried the various glDepthFunc enums to no avail and even tried glDisable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0) but I figure I am not using it correctly...Initially I want to disable gluPerspective effects for a short period so I do not get z-fighting in the distance...Due mainly because I am trying to draw objects such as stars at distances of trillions of GL units away along with objects up close that are relatively small such as planets...

generally the idea is you dont draw beyond the plane, eighter extend it or for stars just fake it with a background

if you just want to elimante the render problems
most of the games i have seen use a fog to obscure the point the pollygones stop drawing
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=16

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just set up a perspective matrix with a distant far clip plane, draw the stars with z-buffer off, then set up a new matrix for regular rendering.

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.