Sign in to follow this  

BSP Confusion

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused about how BSP collision detection works. I understand that the individual nodes in the tree are seperated into brushes - which are essentially lists of individual planes. I also understand how to determine which node is containing the an object. But my question is this: if each brush is a convex collection of infinite planes, how can a game handle doorways? Wouldn't any object passing through a doorway simply collide with one of those planes? Thanks for any explainations!

Each convex hull (a.k.a leaf) should also contain information about its contents. At the most basic level, content information determines if the leaf is solid or non-solid. You can also add special contents like water, lava, etc., however it all comes down to whether or not the player can enter the leaf. So when you're performing collisions detection, if the leaf the player is trying to enter is solid, push them back. Otherwise, let them through.

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.