development environments

Started by
18 comments, last by flangazor 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by tadobie
My biggest issue with KDevelop is the issue of configuration. I find it difficult to work out how to link includes and Libraries from other directories. For example I cant seem to get the program to link up with SDL.h and other external libraries. I'm not suggesting that it can't be done' it's just hthat I can seem to find any help on how it's done.
I've fumbled around and work out a few things by trial and error but it's a such a hassle. Maybe someone can help me or direct me toward some documentation that explains it clearly.
Unfortunatelty I came into the work of programming only relatively recently, that is to say I wasn't brought up on DOS and I'm new to Linux so my command line skills are poor. I guess the problem is that KDevelop shields me from these unknown demons for the most part but when it comes to linking, makefiles etc I guess the assumption is that you know what you're doing (yes, I'm afraid of the big bad command line).
My ignorance is my downful, what should I do? Who should I turn to?

You're probably looking in the wrong place (Project -> Project options) :

- Include directories have to been done in the automake manager (a tab on the righthand side). Lets say you got an application in the src/ directory of your project. In the automake manager right click on the src directory and select settings (or options, I'm not sure, I'm currently in windows). A dialog will popup where you can add include directories (-I/usr/include/SDL for the SDL include directories) and do some other stuff to. For directories in your project all you have to do is check a checkbox.

- Linking libraries can also be done in the automake manager. Say that the application is named foobar. The automake manager has two views (the top shows the directories and the bottom the content of each directory). In the bottom there should be something like foobar in bin_PROGRAMS, just rightclick on it and select settings (or options, again I'm not sure). A dialog will pop up where you can add libraries (-lSDL and -lpthread if you want to link SDL for example)

Overall KDevelop has the best front end for the whole automake crap. But knowing the autotools can be helpfull. This book does a good job at explaining them.

This post was me and I meant this book
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
I use KDevelop and I have no problems with it. I just use it to edit source files though, I don't mess around with all the advanced options like binding everything together in a project of linking things. I do all of that stuff with my bash shell and a makefile, that's all I need. [cool]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

I noticed no one mentioned emacs. That's all I've used so far, but I've only been working in linux for about 3 weeks. I like it pretty well. Copy/paste is sort of wierd. Found a makefile trick, use *.cpp and you don't have to keep adding files to it.
if you want something like visual c++ just use windows. don't waste your time with linux.
if you want something like visual c++ just use windows. don't waste your time with linux.

1) Windows is expensive.
2) Visual C++ is expensive.
3) Presumably his decision to use GNU/Linux was based on considerations other than the availability of IDE's. I know mine was.
<snip>...just use windows. don't waste your time with linux.

<GASP!> You sir (or madam) should be shot.
CodeBlocks is pretty good so far.

As for the Anon Poster, please go away. Posting Anti-Linux sentiments in the Unix forum is just stupid - nobody asked you to click the post. Everyone else: Don't bother wasting your time on him, he's just trying to bait you :)
I used jedit for a while but kdevelop 3 really rocks the boat IMO.
Albert
-------------------------------------------http://www.thec.org
I kinda like Anjuta. I only wish it didn't depend on autotools. I was really looking forward to Anjuta2 but then I found out it's still going to depend on autotools.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Yann's IDE works.
I like the DARK layout!
Quote:Original post by tadobie
Can anyone recommend a good development environment along the lines of Visual C++ that is NOT KDevelop!?
I'm curious, does anyone even use KDevelop and if so is it generally a nightmare to use or is it just me?
Submit to the will of the one true editor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement